Head Gasket Issues?

Have you issues with your head gasket and/or radiator?

• Yes, both.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Just radiator.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Just head gasket.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Neither...who are you?

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyson

Reaction score
I own an '02 4x4 Sport and replaced my radiator 3 times in the past 4 years.

The first two times were nearly a year apart. The garage told me the radiator was plastic and pretty flimsy so it wasn't a surprise to them that it broke so soon. Symptoms were leaking fluid and heat only getting hot only while driving. And the heat got SUPER hot quickly....not good.

The third time I had the radiator leaking, I took it to a different garage. They tested the compression gasses, I believe. They basically told me the head gasket was going bad since they found exhaust fumes in the antifreeze. :eek:

So, after $1400, a rebuilt head gasket and new radiator, everything seems to be good.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had head gasket and/or radiator issus with their whips?

EDIT: Crap! Mods, I believe I put this in the wheels/tire section. I'm ********. Please move to right place.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had to replace a radiator before... but it's mostly from my own doing. I nose-dived the KJ in a deep mud hole last year when at Cliffs in IL. I got nothing but residual problems after that... even after cleaning things up to the best of my ability. I had pulleys seize, and eventually (I believe) caused a crack in the plastic end cap of my radiator. I really don't see the issues I had as being any kind of manufacturer defect.

You must be registered for see images

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to replace a radiator before... but it's mostly from my own doing. I nose-dived the KJ in a deep mud hole last year when at Cliffs in IL. I got nothing but residual problems after that... even after cleaning things up to the best of my ability. I had pulleys seize, and eventually (I believe) caused a crack in the plastic end cap of my radiator. I really don't see the issues I had as being any kind of manufacturer defect.

Shame on you, Jayme. You are not alowed to paint your jeep Black, no matter what Budke says. ;)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Hyson, the quality of aftermarket parts is a big contributing factor in that, too. ThunderbirdJunkie replaced his OE radiator that died at about 110,000 miles with a CSF radiator.

He replaced that CSF radiator twice. Once with another warrantied CSF radiator, and then said screw it and paid actual money for a Visteon replacement.

The Visteon's been in there for about 9 months so far, which is longer than either CSF radiator lasted, so.....so far so good :p

That being said:
A leaking head gasket can and will introduce pressure from compression from the cylinder to the cooling system. The pressures inside the cylinder are significantly higher than that of the cooling system (16 psi for an average cooling system, 180psi, give or take a few) for a cylinder. That extra pressure CAN kill a radiator by splitting the endtank from the core.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its about time someone made an all aluminum radiator for the KJ... Come on aftermarket companies how about it damnit??

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We DO need a radiator that is constructed with 100% metal. Replacing radiators every year or so is a big PITA. Note about quality - I am on radiator #1 [1 stock / 1 Mopar replacement] and so far no issues but I have not hit the 1 year mark with the this new one yet.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That being said:
A leaking head gasket can and will introduce pressure from compression from the cylinder to the cooling system. The pressures inside the cylinder are significantly higher than that of the cooling system (16 psi for an average cooling system, 180psi, give or take a few) for a cylinder. That extra pressure CAN kill a radiator by splitting the endtank from the core.

Ummm. With due respect TBJ, if the cooling system goes over 16psi the cap opens and vents the pressure into the recovery tank. It wouldn't cause the radiator to blow.

I've had head gaskets let go on several vehicles and never had a radiator fail because of one. Usually it's the other way around. The radiator fails causing the engine to overheat, thus cooking the head gasket and/or warping the head.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm. With due respect TBJ, if the cooling system goes over 16psi the cap opens and vents the pressure into the recovery tank. It wouldn't cause the radiator to blow.

I've had head gaskets let go on several vehicles and never had a radiator fail because of one. Usually it's the other way around. The radiator fails causing the engine to overheat, thus cooking the head gasket and/or warping the head.
Yes and no on that one.If the pressure increased suddenly it can blow apart a radiator before the cap can vent,and in some cases the cap can not vent the amount of gas/coolant mix fast enough.Then you got those people who never take care of there vehicles(most vehicles) and that hose from the cap to the overfill(or the passage in the coolant tank like the KJ) becomes clogged with sludge and it can't vent properly or fast enough and pop goes the radiator.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Called Griffin Radiator about an alum.rad.,sit down,they said $600.00 due to no demand,having to sort out mounts,so on. I checked radiator on the poll,though I have no problem with replacing one after 180,000+ miles. So far the CSF has been OK,knock on wood.

slimboy KJ

Reaction score
check your thermostat it might be sticking thats why you dont have a good flow of your coolant and its making overheat in your radiator that causes a crack.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had known the radiator problem was going to be so common when I had mine replaced at 3 years old. My mechanic found a 3 core aluminum radiator and swapped it in for me. I would have made sure to get the part number.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Holy effing #$!#%@ :eek:

Yeah, it was fun. :(

The radiator eventually crapped out after the idler pulley seized, and the serp belt shredded on I-70 on the way back from CO last summer. It was then towed to Denver. I ended up with an aftermarket replacement... so I'm kind of waiting for that to go out now so I can get something better. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online