Has my KJ gone absolutely insane?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I start her up this morning and all is fine. Run into a store for about 2 minutes and i cant get her to start back up again. I get a jump start and she runs for 5 secconds and dies. after the 3rd try i give her some more gas and she manages to stay on. As im driving home all the lights start blinking (the airbag, charging system, hand brake, check engine, the radio goes insane. I got hime and let her run for a little to charge up th ebattery but she wont start again :(

2003KJ

Reaction score
Time for a new battery.

Out of curiosity, how old is your KJ? Been seeing that the OEM batteries last from 3-4 years on average.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably need a new battery... I haven't had that problem with my Jeep yet but my Neon is on it's 3rd battery. The failures were exactly as you described. The failing battery is emitting electrical noise that is making the computer that runs the dashboard, courtesy lights, etc. goofy.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002? Its probably toast. If you want to prove it to yourself, take to a parts store that does free testing or put it on a charger yourself. Charge it fully and check the cells with a hydrometer, (battery tester with floating balls) you will find a bad cell or 2. Remember that it is battery acid and keep it away from your clothes. (I never could, lol) It's not like the old days before computers, alarms, keyless entry, etc. Battery failure is usually pretty sudden. I can tell you that you will find the same threads on other Chrysler product message boards. And my dad has had the same deal on 2 different Toyotas.

Last edited:

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i had all ford products before and have never seen the electronics go crazy like that because of the battery

2003KJ

Reaction score
6 years on the OEM battery! Consider yourself lucky! Most only get half that! I only got about 3.5 outta mine.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a new battery.

Out of curiosity, how old is your KJ? Been seeing that the OEM batteries last from 3-4 years on average.

Speaking for myself, my OEM battery only lasted about 3 1/2 years. I was ******* it though. I ran a lot of accessories-- battery chargers, peltier cooler etc. Basically, I didn't take great care of it. Drained it too far.

Reaction score
i have an 04 with an original battery and i've been noticing a slower and weaker start for the engine. it may be because i have 10 lights and a sound system and the power usage is killin me

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every now and then they mess up and make a good battery. My mom had a plymouth voyager that went 8 years on the factory battery

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It all depends on climate, usage, etc.

My family has never been able to get more than 3 years from a Mopar battery.

... and the '05 is coming right up on 3 years. We'll see what happens.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your bumper fluid, it may be low.

my 03 built in Feb of 03 is still on original battery too, they are all different, but when they start to go, they go quick. my disco needed a new battery in 1 year, changed to interstate and has been smooth for 3 years.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changed the battery, got some cross drilled brake lines and an engine oil bypass kit. All is well now.

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm having this prob right now....has the factory batter(its an 03, built in jan of 03)...the little battery tester on the factory batteries lie. mine is green, but i think the battery is toast.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so it is not the battery. the same symptoms today and the battery is just a week old. tailgate clicking and even when i jump start it dies immediately. it stays on at higher rpm....?

ohh yeah and i just drove it home after being jumpstarted for about 5 miles and the odometer did not change at all....

Last edited:

Members online