Has anyone replaced the overhead light switch with a 3-way so they work with hi beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this while reading another thread about auxiliary driving lights. Years ago a buddy of mine put some Lucas "flamethrowers" on his car, and wired them in with a 3-way rocker switch in such a way that in one of the "on" positions they would only come on with the high beams, the other "on" position they were on all the time.

This would be handy so one wouldn't leave the overhead (or any other auxiliary lights) on when meeting traffic, they would go off when you switched to low beams.

Anyone here done this?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are wired to come on with the high beams only, but it would be a simple matter of adding a single pole double throw switch instead of the one i have now to make them on all the time in one position or with the high beams in the other.

All the Hella lights come with a wiring diagram that shows how to wire them so they run with the high beams on. To add the other function it would just be a simple matter of one more wire and a different switch.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are yours wired like that from the factory? I assume when you switch to low beam then they go off?

I checked ours the other night and they are controlled from the switch only, and don't care what beam the headlights are on.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine aren't factory, i just have a pair of Hella 500FF's on the brush/grille guard and i wired them that way myself. When i flip to my low beams they go off, and when i flip back they come back on, as long as the added dash switch is turned on they follow the headlight switch.

If your roof light bar is stock then its wired so they can be turned on and off regardless of the headlight switch.

It could be done with the stock switch to make it follow the high beams if you wanted. Looking at the service manual you could easily cut the power wire to the switch and run that to the high beam circuit so its only allowed to come on when flipping the high beams on.