Has anyone else's Jeep started itself? Bizarre.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not totaly agree with that for a Guy I work with called his GF and soon to be wife by the wrong name and she thought he was cheating on her and the next time he left home she took a sledge hammer to his Harley. :eek:

Lets just say they are no longer engaged.

Believe me, he got out cheap.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for anyone else this has happened to. Last night my Daughters 97' Cherokee had a dead battery. I hooked up my Roll Around charger to it, on 12V high for 1 hour. Then I set it to 6V/12V low and left it on the rest of the night. This morning I remembered I had not turned the charger off and was worried about leaving it on too long, so I went home to disconnect it.
I pulled into the garage and as I walked out to the driveway to disconnect the charger, I heard the Jeep running. There was no key in the ignition and no one had been home since 6am and it was now 9:30am.
This Jeep has no remote starter installed whatsoever, and it does not have keyless access either.
Could the battery charger somehow shorted/overloaded a relay for the ignition?
Also, the shift lever PARK switch is going bad and you have to push forward on the shifter to get the Jeep to start. ?????
Skip

It sounds like you may have some shorts in the steering column.
I can jumper a line to make a non-computer car start - but you're pulling wires and shorting them together - hot to ignition - your Cherokee may be doing that by itself - I'd start measuring resistance to ground on any wire in the harness, and consider leaving the battery unhooked until you find it - self starting cars make good Movies - but it could be dangerous.

skipsfirearms

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I will start looking around. We have had the jeep for about a year and have never had this issue. I was hoping it was just a fluke because of the battery charger.
I guess it's metering time.....

It sounds like you may have some shorts in the steering column.
I can jumper a line to make a non-computer car start - but you're pulling wires and shorting them together - hot to ignition - your Cherokee may be doing that by itself - I'd start measuring resistance to ground on any wire in the harness, and consider leaving the battery unhooked until you find it - self starting cars make good Movies - but it could be dangerous.