Hard Start at Fill-Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son-In-Laws KJ hard starts after fuel fill up....Needs to crank it 6-7 times before it starts than it's just fine until next fill-up

????????????/ any ideas why ??

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention

he's getting some EVAP engine code when it happens

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Well,then I would check hoses for cracks,cap,canister,etc.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do this...

Pull the gas cap off, wait about the amount of time that it takes to fill up, or say 5 mins, and then put the cap back on and then see if you still have the same starting problem.

Sounds like a problem i had on a past vehicle here, the fuel would drain back to the tank thanks to a bad/sticking check valve in the fuel pump module when you release the tank pressure by removing the cap. Then you had to wait for the fuel pump to catch up and purge the air back out of the system.

Also try this, if you can replicate the non-start condition after removing the gas cap and waiting a while then do it again and turn on the key but don't crank the engine, just leave the key on for a while, then shut it off, then turn it on again but don't crank once again, what we are doing here is running the fuel pump, shutting off, running the fuel pump, and then try to crank it over and start. If it starts now then your problem is getting the fuel pumped back up to the engine. Could be a bad check valve, or even a bad pump as well.

The EVAP code could be related to the cranking but no start rather than the actual problem that's keeping it from starting in the first place.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do this...

Pull the gas cap off, wait about the amount of time that it takes to fill up, or say 5 mins, and then put the cap back on and then see if you still have the same starting problem.

I was going to suggest she drive the car around, pull into a parking lot for 5 mins... don't touch the gas cap at all, and restart the truck and see if the issue remained. I had an old fuel-injected 280z which would suffer from vapor lock, and if you stopped the hot engine for only a few minutes, then tried to restart it, it would hard start.