Hard start 03 liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having Hard Start Problems
03 liberty does not want to start unless I push on the throttle. Things I have gone threw are, fuel pump primes, it cranks over just won't start. But once it starts it won't idle unless I " two foot the gas and brake". I took the IAC(idle air control) out cleaned with throttle body cleaner. Put it all back together and started right up. Problem Solved wrong I went to start it her up for work the next morning nothing. Damnit! Help !

Rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope no codes. I turned the key over 3 times to accessory mode with no luck. Then I got to work and plugged in a scanner and no stored codes either. Live data helped a little cause I was able to see the Tps and Map sensor in action but they all seemed normal.

Rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clogged fuel rail maybe?

Is the fuel pump outputting at the proper pressure?

Bob
How would I go about checking the fuel pump without a scanner? Pressure gauge?
Some one told me it might be the fuel filter though.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any progress on the issue?

I'm having this same problem on my 03' Renegade. The battery, starter, and alternator all checked out fine, and I thoroughly cleaned the throttle body and replaced the IAC sensor. Right after that, it started like a champ, but the next day the starting problem was back (although better than before). I have to give it a little gas for about 10 seconds or leave the key turned to ACC for about 15 seconds before it will start.

Somewhere I read that a fuel relay was a possible cause, but I haven't investigated how to check that yet.

Rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I took her in and got the battery tested and it failed. So I replaced and it, she's been running like a champ ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk