Hard "noise" from the rear (Video Inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t-tomer

Reaction score
Hello.
this is driving me crazy for the past week.

I'm hearing a loud knock knock noise, like some kind of collision from the rear of the vehicle, whenever i drive on street bumpers (even slowly) and mostly while articulation off road.

I checked a lot - sway bar , door and rear wheel (even drove some couple of feet while it's open during lite articulation

had to take the gopro and try to see what is going on down there but can't specify the problem.

this is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXE9OcLC63Q&feature=youtu.be
in 0:06 , 0:20 0:39

*this started after modification done lately in the rear: - 3 moog spring isolator , moog control arm. but everything looks good and tight

maybe someone has faced this before, much appreciated if you can shed some light :help:

thanks!

Last edited:

drewwenmoth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to see the uca, but it appears it sometimes is moving up/down with the clunk when the lowers are moving at a different time or speed. Check your ball joint on the uca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thats the noise I have on ours! BTW awesome video, makes me want to get a cam like this. Mine also started after I changed out the old springs and shocks but kept things OEM spec.

I plan on replacing the entire tri-link this fall instead of dealing with taking out and trying to get old bushings out and new ones in. Just buy the unit, a bit more pricey but worth it IMO.

I would do it sooner but my GLI has bad rear rotors and they are grinding so I'm about to do a brake job there and have to replace a stupid plastic piece under the motor.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5429124&cc=1430900&jsn=418

Can anyone else chime in and provide some detail as I can find this part on rockauto from MOOG for under $150 yet MOPAR has it for $400-500?! That's a huge price difference.

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thats the noise I have on ours! BTW awesome video, makes me want to get a cam like this. Mine also started after I changed out the old springs and shocks but kept things OEM spec.

I plan on replacing the entire tri-link this fall instead of dealing with taking out and trying to get old bushings out and new ones in. Just buy the unit, a bit more pricey but worth it IMO.

I would do it sooner but my GLI has bad rear rotors and they are grinding so I'm about to do a brake job there and have to replace a stupid plastic piece under the motor.

More Information for MOOG RK621376

Can anyone else chime in and provide some detail as I can find this part on rockauto from MOOG for under $150 yet MOPAR has it for $400-500?! That's a huge price difference.

The MOPAR one is higher but trust me when I say just get the MOPAR one.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MOPAR one is higher but trust me when I say just get the MOPAR one.

Friend at the dealer quoted me $486 for the part saying it retails for $694?!?!

I'll find a decent priced one and slap it on this fall, thankfully the full unit comes with all the bushings and joints already in place so it can bolt right in. Plus the current one has some rusting so it will be a good time to get it updated.

Gene48

Reaction score
I watched the video a couple of time and it appears to me the the control arm itself has a bit of a side movement. Did you check the bushings on the control arm?

The reason I say that is because my Liberty developed a clunk noise on the right front as well as a sway in the steering, and after some digging I found that the bushing on the control arm were defective. I replaced them and it went away.

Last edited:

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go over everything really well and make sure all bolts are tight. Maybe jack up the kj at the frame and try to replicate the noise by hand?

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk