Handlebar above the glove-box to older models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Make

Reaction score
Hi

I have 2004 KJ (manuf. 2003) and it does not have the neat 'handlebar' above the glove-box, anybody know if it can be fitted on earlier model?

And if yes, does anybody remember the part#?

Thanx in advance!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to this site and there is a nice write up on installing one: Jeep Projects website You have to register in order to see the pictures but registration is free. The write up has the part no. and all the info you need. Hope this helps.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would you want to do that? That handle is ********! I was thinking of removing mine, actually, if it weren't for the airbag light on it.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that bad to have... I think it's kind of cool. I have been on some roads with friends driving that I wish I had had that handle!

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
That handle isn't there for the DRIVER.... it's there for the poor passenger to hang onto when that wild hair hits the driver.

Around here it's called the "Oh-$h1T" handle.

Luis

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fouros said:
we call em Jesus handles

cause when the passenger grabs it, they are praying [-o<
Jesus grips, thats what my buddy calls the ones over the doors cuz whenever you grab one you're saying 'Oh Jesus, Oh Jesus, Oh Jesus...' eek2.gif

Watty

Reaction score
It was my understanding that this handle was installed to hang a barf bag from ... placed just right for any passenger that find the going a little bit more than what he bargained for when accepting a lift with a Jeep fanatic trying the 80 deg incline with one hand on the roof and the other one down shifting to get more rev's.

phantom2

Reaction score
I hate that stupid bar..you loose a lot of knee room with that thing.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I love it. It really adds to the look of the interior. The others just look boring to me now. However, I do wish it still said "Jeep" over by the passenger airbag. :-s

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have this bar, but I did wonder if it would give kids something to grab getting up into the car.

Agree that it seems to be useless as an "OH SHIT!" handle. The location is too low and too far away for that -- purely a cosmetic addition IMO. Would be semi-curious to know how much that bar is though. Imagine that's a $300 project or something.

jtk100

Reaction score
handlebar above glovebox on liberty

I actually didn't replace my Liberty after it was totaled because of this grab bar. I'm really tall, and REALLY didn't like the leg space I lost due to this...which would have been a problem when my wife drove. I really liked my Liberty, and might buy another one if I could get around this problem.
Has anyone removed this bar? I know you would have to place the airbag light somewhere, but it might fit into one of the dash holes left behind. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this, if there's a cosmetic kit to cover the connection points, etc.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The true reason for this bar is to serve as a handle to stabilize yourself with while off-road. Many other off-road trucks have them as well...not the least of which is the GM trucks. When you are bouncing around on the trail it's a really nice feature. That's why it's there. If you don't like it take it off or buy one of the "car-like" competitor SUVs. I'm 6'4" tall and I don't mind that bar at all.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LibertyCRD said:
The true reason for this bar is to serve as a handle to stabilize yourself with while off-road. Many other off-road trucks have them as well...not the least of which is the GM trucks. When you are bouncing around on the trail it's a really nice feature. That's why it's there. If you don't like it take it off or buy one of the "car-like" competitor SUVs. I'm 6'4" tall and I don't mind that bar at all.

I can say I have been on rough trails as a passenger, and that I was glad the 4x4 had the grab bars \:D/

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab bar

From what it sounds like there is enoguh of us who like/want the bar and enough of us who don't like/want to get rid of the bar, to set up some type of exchange program.

I'd be willing to get rid of the bar, the only question is what happens to the air bag indicator light. Does anyone have pics without the bar?

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bar is extremely useful...i wrap my radar detector wire around it to keep it from getting in my way while i'm playing with the radio at 80mph. Seriously tho, if it wasn't for the seatbelt light, i'd get rid of the bar; i think my passengers would rather have the room.

Latest posts

Members online