HAMs with KJs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

How many HAMs are there on here with KJs? Where have you put your radios? I am contemplating getting a portable with the relevant accessories to connect it to the car...good idea or not?

Thanks

Oliver

ZL3OOC (libbgreen)lurk.gif

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're referring to a 2M or 70cm handheld (or dual-band unit) then I don't see a problem with that; it's what my first mobile rig was until I could get the funds to upgrade to a full-on mobile unit with more power. Just make sure you get an antenna with decent gain to help your signal get out.

73s

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a Ham, I installed a mobile rig in my KJ about 2 years ago. I have a Yaesu FT-7800R with a faceplate separation kit, so I mounted the faceplate in the small cut-out space next to the cig-lighter (underneath the climate control panel). This space is really nice as it sits in the cut-out and isn't visible from the outside of the vehicle. I also have the mic attached to the faceplate display and it rests next to my 4X4 lever. I secured the radio base unit underneath the passenger seat with wire ties to the seat mount, running the faceplate wiring along the passenger side of the center console and then out under the seat.

For power, I initially wired it off of the cig-port but I wanted to run 50W tx power, so I drilled a hole through the firewall on the passenger side and ran the two wires directly to the battery terminals underneath the hood. As far as antennas go, I have a stealthy-looking NMO mount antenna which is mounted to the right-side of the tailgate. It is mounted so it clears the rear window when it opens, pretty much lined up with the radio antenna on the front for AM/FM. The coax wire for the antenna runs through the tailgate and skips over where the hinge is on the left side, and then I ran the wire inside the left-side panel in the trunk and then across the car underneath the rear seats, and finally underneath the passenger side door mounting in the back and finally back out under the passenger seat.

My next project is to install an external speaker or connect it directly to my stereo via my ipod kit, since the sound comes out of the base unit and is muffled coming from underneath the pax seat.

Wow, that description was complicated! I'll post pics if someone tells me how. I love the set-up though, it looks really stealthy so nobody can tell the radio is there, but I have access to a full mobile station for 2M and 70cm as well as scanning ability for pretty much everything.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 50-watt Ericsson MDX VHF public safety radio in my KJ. It's a remote mount unit, so the transceiver is mounted under the driver seat with power run directly to the battery, and the control head (which is compact, about 2"x7") is right up on the dash above the middle two heat vents. I installed a roof mount NMO antenna (drilling that hole took some courage) and ran all the wiring myself.

Works great. Maybe I'll take some photos and post them up.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you run into any problems with side air bags, or sun roof clearance? Would be interested in the placement of your NMO mount (I use the same mount).
You can reply to al7fi good on qrz.com tnx es 73

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread but anyway...
I installed an ft90 to a roof mounted nmo antenna. Works great. Kb3wvr... 73

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it, passed it, licensed General HAM, but no radio yet.

I'm still making do with CB, plans for a VHF/UHF rig sometime in the future (might wait for the next vehicle since we're having another kiddo soon.)

KK6AEL

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to see an old thread revived.

Yep, had my General ticket for about 25 years. I've done a few installs in my Libby. Here are some of my installs.

This YouTube video is of an Alinco on the dash:

Alinco DR135T MKIII 2 Meter Ham Rig in Jeep Liberty - YouTube

This YouTube video is of a Magnum 10/12 HF handheld mounted to the dash:
Magnum 1012 Transceiver Installed in 2004 Jeep - YouTube

This is where I put the speaker in the Libby for the scanner:
Remote Speaker for Scanner - 2004 Jeep Liberty - YouTube

Did this install in a 2006 Mustang:
Ham Radio Install on 2006 Ford Mustang - YouTube

And if you're really bored - here are a bunch of my other odball (often ham radio) projects...

dans radio, electronic, antenna, mount, and pvc projects

Dan