ham radio mounting suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitts

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just bought a 2002 Liberty, and a Yaesu 79000r to mount in it. Most of the threads on mounting suggestions refer to just putting the body 'under the seat', but there seem to be a lot of moving parts and wires under there for the power and heating (first world problems, eh?). So what exactly do you mount the radio body to, under there?

I'm thinking at present of mounting the antenna at the edge of the hood on the driver's side; will just need to bend a bracket to follow the edge of the rocker panel. And I'm planning on putting the remote face for the ham radio either just above or just below the stereo; I'm replacing the factory radio with a single-din unit, so if I fill the backside of the plastic mounting piece for that with epoxy so there's something for the screws to hold onto, should be pretty solid...

Thanks!

pitts

Reaction score
Yeah, I ended up with a piece of 1/8" aluminum I cut into two sections, drilled one, drilled and tapped the other, and bolted them together, in such a way that they're pinching the front and rear edges of the seat frame. Then the radio hangs from that. It's a tight fit to reach all the bolts, but it works.

And it turns out the local radio shop had a bracket that fit the edge of the hood perfectly. Of course, I don't recall a part number or anything...

Lester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it worked out. Right now, I'm just using a 5W H/T with an external antenna in the Jeep. Still haven't decided on just how I want to mount the Kenwood TM-271A. I may just buy another radio that has head separation capability.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I use a SO-239 lip mount clamped on the top forward edge of the left rear door with extra skinny coax running down the inside front of the door to the hinge, over to the body, under the drivers seat to the console.

Ran fused wire from the battery through the firewall under the brake booster, then under the dash to the console ending in anderson powerpoles.

Control head to Yaesu sr10r is mounted on an LDG goosneck seatbolt mount. Strap on the radio hangs the mess on the shift knob on the passenger side. Kenwood speaker is hung on the plastic trim covering the shoulder belt up by the headliner and my left ear.

It's a goofy 10 watt radio but it works and I can throw my Kenwood 710 and a bigger antenna in 5 minutes. The 710 is usually installed in a cardboard box on the passenger seat or floor.

mohamer

Reaction score
Ft 8800 mount

Hey,
I mounted a FT 8800 in my 2006 Liberty
I put the body of the radio under the driver seat and bolted it to the center part of the ridge that run across the front part, there was already a bolt there to use. Watch out for all the wires, there are a lot of them!!
I peeled the carpet back to get to the raised section.
The remote head is just above the stereo. Two small screws hold the remote head mount to the dash. The cord goes behind the stereo bezel and down through the dash to the left kick panel and back to the under seat position.
I have a speaker mounted to the Right of the steering column.

It works good, the remote head is up where I can see it very easy going down the road. I did have to modify the plastic mount for the remote head to make room for the 4 way flasher button to reset, that was a tight fit.

kb0ou :emotions34: