Had to get towed tonight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had just gotten off the highway when i noticed the engine was making weird sounds. when i let go of the gas it sounded a lot different like it wasnt using all of its power and it was making ticking sounds that slowed in intensity the longer i was off the gas.

i was trying to make it to the bank to grab cash then drive it to the garage thats less than a quarter mile away but the jeep decided to die right in front of the church at the top of a hill so i was able to get most of it off the street. the engine and the power steering cut off.

When the tow truck showed up he said it doesnt look good and ill know tomorrow how bad the damage to the car is. i didnt really notice anything strange under the hood and there was nothing leaking under it. I just have a bad feeling that it might be so bad its just not worth fixing.

This is just my luck. i help someone with their stuck car while most just drove by then i get sick, today was my first day back at work then this happens.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot to add that my 4wd doesnt work and my bushings need to be replaced. thats why im thinking it might be too much to fix. this is my first truck and i love it so i would probably cry when i see it go.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Lousy news. :(

Don't give up yet. I'm hoping it will all work out and not be too serious.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still have not heard anything about it. anybody know why my engine would just cut out and the power steering will cut out??

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power steering pump is belt driven off the engine. When the engine kills, the power steering stops with it. No mystery there.
Could be a number of things causing the engine to kill.... dying fuel pump, stopped up fuel filter, electrical short, overheating ignition module, or a plugged cat converter are just a few ideas off the top of my head. As an example, say your cat was causing an exhaust restriction. It gets worse the longer you drive and the hotter the engine and exhaust gets, to where it can kill performance, and make the engine quit because it can no longer breathe. The ticking you hear could be the exhaust escaping anywhere it can forward of the cat, like from the headpipe connections, or at the manifold to head area. Being you only have 56k miles, it's not as likely to be that, but not impossible. If your engine has been running rich for whatever reason, that can melt down the innards of the cat. On a whim, I don't suppose someone played a prank on you and jammed a potato up your tailpipe (the Jeep's that is)? That's an old mean trick to play on someone to make their engine kill, and to drive the person crazy trying to figure out why.

LKWJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck for a good outcome. ***** when you do something nice for someone else and you get crapped on later.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and my luck continues to get worse, mechanic says its possible i will need a new engine. Since he is swamped with other cars and could only take a quick look, i will know more on monday. If he is right this could be the end of the line for my liberty since i have tons of other issues with the truck like bad bushings, 4x4 is dead and the audio is garbage. There is no way in hell im going to get a tiny car thats drives like garbage when it starts to flurry. Oh and to top it off i have a minor leg injury and will have to miss even more work after i had meningitis last week. I need a drink

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bushings aren't expensive and can be done yourself. Garbage audio is not an actual problem. 4x4 doesn't need to work to get you back and forth to work and can be fixed at a later date. So really you just have to get whatever is wrong with your engine fixed....
So why get rid of it. Its cheaper to fix it then it is to get a whole other vehicle

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean alcoholic drink Id avoid it! sorry your having a lot things at once it happens. You'll get through it. stay positive

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like how people think loosing PS after the engine shuts off is a separate issue.The engine being off will cause a loss of power steering as the engine turns the PS pump giving you power steering(not including newer vehicles with electric PS).Engine off = no power steering 100% of the time when you have a hydraulic PS system like the KJ uses.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Like how people think loosing PS after the engine shuts off is a separate issue.The engine being off will cause a loss of power steering as the engine turns the PS pump giving you power steering(not including newer vehicles with electric PS).Engine off = no power steering 100% of the time when you have a hydraulic PS system like the KJ uses.
Some people legitimately do not understand how vehicles work.

So the only thing you can do is teach them, not assume that everybody knows that the power steering pump exists and how it works.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bushings aren't expensive and can be done yourself. Garbage audio is not an actual problem. 4x4 doesn't need to work to get you back and forth to work and can be fixed at a later date. So really you just have to get whatever is wrong with your engine fixed....
So why get rid of it. Its cheaper to fix it then it is to get a whole other vehicle

Its winter and were getting snow almost every week, I need the 4x4. dont have the tools are the skills to replace bushings, audio I know isnt a major issue I was just pissed off. I just did a quick search and an engine costs about $2k without shipping, add labor and im probably looking at $4k maybe more. Like I said ill know more 2 moro.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and my luck continues to get worse, mechanic says its possible i will need a new engine. Since he is swamped with other cars and could only take a quick look, i will know more on monday. If he is right this could be the end of the line for my liberty since i have tons of other issues with the truck like bad bushings, 4x4 is dead and the audio is garbage. There is no way in hell im going to get a tiny car thats drives like garbage when it starts to flurry. Oh and to top it off i have a minor leg injury and will have to miss even more work after i had meningitis last week. I need a drink

I think remember your 4x4 problem...it was just the transfer case end CV joint. Thats a fifty dollar fix. bushings are cheap too (and not necessary). Engine is a different story.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had inop 4x4 this winter here in Chicago... been doing so far without it.