Gurgling sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Aleman

Richie 2005 liberty
Reaction score
When I start my liberty. I hear a gurgling and swooshing sound under the dash. Its like between the radio and passenger side. Anyone knows what that is ?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would either be coolant going to the heater core or refrigerant going to your evaporator.

How is the coolant level in your engine bay? Has it been changed or worked on lately? (air in lines?)

Does your air conditioning work normally?

Richard Aleman

Richie 2005 liberty
Reaction score
Yes my ac and heat works perfect. I don't know how to check my lines. My coolelant level in reserve is good. I haven't had it changed in a year. I'm going to have a friend check it out. I am going to ask him about what you said to check. Thank you very much.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Normal. Your pic is correct. Other end? Return at Rad has a clamp.
You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Spray some penetrating oil around that hex before trying to break it free.
I also use a proper hex bit socket with downward force, and a long handle ratchet to break it free when hot. Forget about using an allen key.
Don't over tighten it either. Tighten just enough until it seals with no leaks that's it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Edit: I screwed up, my vision is bad & you need an 8mm hex socket & I apologize. (not a T-20 Doh)
This is my set up corrected now!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes hot with top rad hose hopefully firm.
I would expect hex to be on super tight.
For that reason I'd break it free slightly first , jeep off, hot, due to moving belt etc.
Once it is closed yet free to open, then have the jeep running while then opening slowly, bleeding coolant & air out .
Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Use a few squirts of penetrating fluid around the hex overnight is best.
Remember to turn the heater control to hottest position.

Keep straight downward pressure on the bit with the left hand, while using the long handle right hand, to break the seal of the hex screw.
If it doesn't break free, & you think you are going to strip the hex screw, stop there.

You don't have to open the hex bleed very far before coolant will start to come out.
It may take a few seconds for coolant to start to come out, so go slowly opening it & be prepared to close it.
What you are looking for is a very small but steady stream of of coolant coming out, without air bubbles.
It generally happens pretty quick.

After cooling down all night, re-fill with Hoat to the cold line if necessary, & hopefully that stops the gurgling. :)

Good Luck.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We recommend using HOAT coolant.
Zerex G05 for example is a HOAT coolant that is specified as the coolant for our vehicle.

In general yes, you want a 50/50 mix in your system.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you believe you have the wrong coolant used in the jeep, time for a complete flush.
Anything else other that Hoat is the wrong coolant for our Jeeps.
Mixing the green stuff or Prestone for instance with Hoat is bad news. It's just co-coagulation waiting to happen & can damage the plastic impeller on the waterpump.
Zerex G-05 can be found at WallMart and other parts stores, and Mopar Hoat is avail at dealers.

Hoat's the best ! No gunk like the rest ! ;)

Richard Aleman

Richie 2005 liberty
Reaction score
Well did it today and the out come wasn't a succes in my book. Cause I wasn't sure what I was really looking for.. I turned the bleeder and got a steady drain until the bubbles were gone. The reason I said I felt like it wasn't a succes because it didn't start coming out until the bolt was almost completely out. Then it didn't really bubble that much Maybe it was a succes but I really want be able to tell until tomorrow.