Grinding noise when going from Park to Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When shifting from park to reverse on an 06' there is a grinding/whining noise. If I go to drive and back into reverse it does not happen. It is not every time but fairly consistent. Fluid is clean and the right color. It sounds like it is right under the shift lever. Any ideas on what to start with are appreciated.

Thank you

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still trying to figure out where this is coming from. Today I moved it around the driveway a little. It did not do going from park to reverse , but did start while backing up. Went to neutral and back to reverse and it quit. While driving forward it did it in drive. I opened the door trying to listen underneath. Can't determine if it is the transfer case or transmission.
What is the starting process for determining a transfer case problem ?

Thank you

Eric Suderman

Reaction score
I don't know a thing about transmissions, but I'm pretty sure it's not your transfer case unless you're in 4wd? If I'm wrong hopefully someone with more knowledge joins the thread to correct me.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Eric. No, although it may also do it in 4 wheel it is in 2 wheel right now. thank you for responding. I really am not sure where to start. I do know that the shifter lever does have a bit more play in it than I think it should have and maybe that is the issue. I'm lost

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be the output shaft/bearing? Any leaks present? Inspection with bright flashlight.
Be easier with two persons involved, wheels blocked, 1 with foot on brake shifting in reverse, and other under Jeep listening to potential noise location & mechanical stethoscope.
Factory 2006 service manual here: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2006-KJ-SM.pdf

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No leaks. Output bearing ? Assuming that will be inside the pump housing? it is an automatic. Thank you for the manual! There is a lot of reading and information in there.

Latest posts

Members online