Greetings to All!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capnpablo

Reaction score
Hello to all! Just bought my 04 KJ with 37k miles on her. A REALLY big transition for me as previously I owned/ built and 89 XJ. I had owned my XJ for 13 yrs. Who owns a vehicle for 13 yrs?! Anyway, I had built previous vehicle 90% myself. Minimal lift to clear 33x10.50 MT's w/o too high a center of gravity, severe sheetmetal mods, etc. 4.56 gears. I miss her... However, a man has to do what a man has to do. I have recently become a single dad with two little boys and I needed something that got better than 9 MPG'S. I am gradually accepting the difference between the two vehicles and I cannot leave well enough alone. I just have become a bit long in the tooth to go to such extreme build up. I want/ need to keep MPG and performance close to stock but being a tried and true Jeep man, I cannot leave well enough alone. I am thinking about>>> cold air intake, throttle body spacer, mild chip and cleaner exhaust in order to match up with tire size increase that willl match factory performance and economy. This has become my soccer dad vehicle but at least it's not a minivan! I'm thinking 4" lift with 265/70 or 75's with no body mods. Am I in the ball park to keep it relatively within stock performance and mileage? Thanks in advance for any inputs. I greatly appreciate the Jeep world's input.
capnpablo

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Some here had and built XJ's. The KJ is a little different animal but capable in it's own right. The stocck intake is really a cold air intake as it takes air from the grill area better than an aftermarket k&n which takes air from the hotter engine bay. Throttle body spacer, different exhaust and chip will probably not do much. Better to put that money into a lift, skids, hooks. There are threads here on the best lift that has been tried on the KJ. The OME springs and Bilsteine shocks work best and give a 2.5" lift without any drivetrain problems. Then you will be able to run bigger tires.....etc, etc, and reduce your gas mileage......haha

Anyway, enjoy the forum.

Dave

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Make yourself at home.. There are many helpful people around here.