Great time until...CV Joint issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a good time drivin the beach everyone laughing and having fun, BOOM POP. CV joint on the left side. sounds terrible...right then, my buddy in his JK hits quicksand and gets jammed to the frame in the incoming tide. Tow truck comes gets him out. says i could survive in 2Wheel and it's prolly the CV. (sounded like wheel bearing to me at first but what the hell do I know.) barely made it off the beach in 2wheel being dragged by my buddy in his JK. just hope 2 wheel is fine and i can make it back to VA OK on monday. For right now, NOTHING I can do so IM GOING TO GET EFFING HAMMERED.

Rock auto has the part 114 bucks, I assume i need the "Forward Position" one? Anyone have any tips on how i can be sure what it is??

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I get home I will try and remember the site I got my other cv from an post it.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
If you have a NAPA store around you, I would get the re-manufactured CV's from them. They are about 1/2 the cost of what you're going to pay at RockAuto (with core), and the chances are better that they will be the correct length. Some of the CV's you buy elsewhere can be slightly shorter - meaning that they will wear faster.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i got in it and tried to put it into 4wd to figure out what side the issue was on...andddd it didnt go into 4wd at all. the lever would go into position, but nothing would happen, no noise, no dash lights, no 4wd at all...how am I supposed to diagnose this issue?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder if maybe whatever linkage between the lever and your transfer case became separated? I've heard of that happening before.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if maybe whatever linkage between the lever and your transfer case became separated? I've heard of that happening before.

i thought that too, but it was grinding when it was revving and i tried to get to 4LO so it's doing it just not completely. Think it might be the xfercase? please say no. lol.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I tell if it's a CV joint issue, or a transfer case issue or a cable binding issue without bringing it to a shop which will cost me an arm and a leg that I don't have to spend right now?

05kj6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can crawl under it and inspect the linkage if there is a problem you should be able to see it. If no problem there try unhooking the linkage and shifting the transfer into low by hand. If all you getting then is grinding and noise you probably have transfer-case problem. As far as checking the CV....try rotating them by hand with the wheels on the ground. If the feel really loose and sloppy then you have major problems with the CV

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I shifted into 4WD today and it started making the noise again slowly, just couldnt tell what side...forgot that one of my issues is the transfer case switch that turns the light on, so it WAS shifting last night I just couldnt tell, cause im dumb. Ordered switches today, will figure out which cv it is and order it by the weekend. I don't think its a transfer case issue anymore.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you check your front driveshaft too... just to rule out any problems there? That's another place that fails and can make some wicked noises...