Gravel in a coffee can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I did a search for this problem, the only thing that really came back was this so-called infamous rear brake "groan". I DON'T think that's what I am dealing with.

When driving at speeds from literally 1 mph up to about 15 mph, I get a tinny, weak grinding/pinging noise from the rear end. It sounds like BB's in a tin can rattling around. If I apply the brakes or parking brake, the noise stays exactly the same. If I apply some throttle the noise stays the same. I did a quick visual inspection under there, I don't see anything unusual. Drivability is normal.

Anybody have any idea what this might be? My very first thought was a small rock or piece of metal caught in a drum. I will take the drums off as soon as I get a chance. Until then, any suggestions?

2002 KJ Sport 4x4, 3.7L NV3550 (82k miles)

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I did a search for this problem, the only thing that really came back was this so-called infamous rear brake "groan". I DON'T think that's what I am dealing with.

When driving at speeds from literally 1 mph up to about 15 mph, I get a tinny, weak grinding/pinging noise from the rear end. It sounds like BB's in a tin can rattling around. If I apply the brakes or parking brake, the noise stays exactly the same. If I apply some throttle the noise stays the same. I did a quick visual inspection under there, I don't see anything unusual. Drivability is normal.

Anybody have any idea what this might be? My very first thought was a small rock or piece of metal caught in a drum. I will take the drums off as soon as I get a chance. Until then, any suggestions?

2002 KJ Sport 4x4, 3.7L NV3550 (82k miles)

If you find nothing it may be a loose baffle in the **** or cat convertor.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise only appears when I'm rolling...even 1 mph. It's something in a moving part, I'm almost 99.9% sure. But thank you for the suggestion!

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had something similar to this after going through some mud mixed with small amounts of gravel. When I pulled back out onto the road I could here it. I figured I was going to need to take the wheels off and have a look at the brakes so I went to wash it first. It was gone after washing. You might just need to take the rims off and have a look in there.

Good luck

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes the noise when the vehicle is in gear or neutral (prob not the ****** then, right?), not the tailgate. I'm thinking it's gotta be a stone or a broken spring in one of the drums...

I won't have time to check today - the suspense is killing me. If I take the drums off and find nothing and the noise continues, then I'll really be baffled!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a broken spring. A truck at work had a spring broke on the ebrake and it sounded like it was making popcorn when it was going down the road. Does the sound get louder with speed/does the rate increase?

Have you ever changed the oil in the rear diff, front diff, or tcase? Get under there and start checking for stuff..

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise actually goes away above 20 mph. Does not get better or worse at any speed, just stays the same. Just got the Jeep, so I haven't changed or checked any fluids yet. It's going in for the ball joint recall next Thursday, may be that'll fix it. Anybody know of the LBJ's causing this tyoe of noise?