Grand Cherokee to Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

conocelo

Reaction score
i am trading my 04 grand cherokee overland. to a 06 liberty sport 4x4.

My GC use to have 2in lift kit. bilstein struts. and 245-70-16 Wrangler MTR.

the tires and rims y still have them. i want to know if i can reuse them on the liberty? or they are to big.

how do you thing i will feel the stock ride, and power of the liberty. coming from the overland?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well first the power under your feet will feel different. Your overland should have came with the higher output V8:
- 265 horsepower and 330 lb-ft of torque

The Liberty you have is going to output (2006 4x4 sport):
- 210 horsepower and 235 lb-ft of torque

The wheels I am assuming are 17"...I am unfamiliar with the actual backspacing of those wheels. The tires sound nice, and would fit with maybe some unnoticeable rubbing (without a lift). However, this may be negated if you try to use the 17" rims. I am not an expert though and plenty of others will be chiming in to help!

Congrats on the new Liberty!! Pics???

conocelo

Reaction score
The MTR are 16in. I only used them when i go offroad. 245-75-16 mtr. i checked them.

The original rims and tires are 17in.

The 16in rims i have they cant be used with the liberty. so i have to buy new rims. I want to have the stock ones with stock tires, to use them in city/higway driving. (same as the GC).

the lease of my grand cherokee ends in aprox 2 weeks. is when i will buy the Liberty (not lease)....

My plans are 2 or 2.5 kift. my tires, ARB bullbar with winch.

here are some pics of the grand cherokee. stock and lifted.
http://www.chabre.org/gallery/195199

Thanks for the help

[/url]

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many people use the 245/70/16 tires on a stock libby. For what I know about them, they fit just fine with the stock rims and stock BS. I have a 1.5in lift and get minor rubbing on the fronts with 255/70/16 generals and cragar rims with 5" BS(stock rims are 5.5" I think). Im thinking of lifting another .5in to reduce the rubbing. The rear rubbed when flexing, but that was fixed with some extened daystar bumpstops. Hope you enjoy the liberty! I think you will miss that extra torque though!! ](*,)

Another awesome site that is focused more towards lifting and offroading:

www.lostkjs.com

Its currently down though... :-({|=

I think with a lift and a locker, you would really enjoy the libby off-road. I think it will do much better than your grand did.

kj-bol

Reaction score
245/70-16 will fit on a non lifted KJ - no problem - you will have a bit of rubbing just because they are MTRs
I used to have that size ATs and I was not lifted - there was no rubbing

conocelo

Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
The 04 WJ wheels will not fit the Liberty. Different bolt pattern.

WJ: 5x5 KJ: 5x4.5

i know. i will have to buy a new set of rims.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mate the 245/75R16 MTR's will not fit a Stock KJ without a LOT of rubbing , you will need a minimum 1 1/2 - 2" lift for those tyres

welcome to the KJ side :)

kolesy

Reaction score
mate the 245/75R16 MTR's will not fit a Stock KJ without a LOT of rubbing , you will need a minimum 1 1/2 - 2" lift for those tyres

Not exactly true Fouros, I had 245/75 MTRs on the stock rims without a lift and the only place they rubbed was a bit pn the pinch weld and a bit on the front bumper. So it is different for some I guess. I personally wouldn't recommend that tire without a lift though.

Oh how is everyone!? I haven't been around these parts in a while.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
fouros said:
might be differences in the design of the front bumper between my 04 mod and the update in the 05/06
The new bumper is much more forgiving with space. The pinch weld is still there though.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 245/70R16 GY Silent Armors on my stock 06 KJ and stock wheels the only rubbing I have gotten in the 12000 miles is very slight on the plastic over the pinch weld.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fouros said:

welcome to the KJ side :)

Thats sweet and all, but hes talking about a 245/70/16... \:D/

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
conocelo said:
The MTR are 16in. I only used them when i go offroad. 245-75-16 mtr. i checked them.

The original rims and tires are 17in.

The 16in rims i have they cant be used with the liberty. so i have to buy new rims. I want to have the stock ones with stock tires, to use them in city/higway driving. (same as the GC).

the lease of my grand cherokee ends in aprox 2 weeks. is when i will buy the Liberty (not lease)....

My plans are 2 or 2.5 kift. my tires, ARB bullbar with winch.

here are some pics of the grand cherokee. stock and lifted.
http://www.chabre.org/gallery/195199

Thanks for the help

[/url]

no there not :D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he meant the ones on his grand are 17in; if thats was what you were talking about...

This is my last past before I leave!!! :-s