Good afternoon, my Jeep friends

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CurtSzal

Reaction score
I am a Jeep owner having bought my first one (a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport) new in 98. It was pretty neat with the 5 speed and 4.0 liter 6 cylinder getting 20 MPG around town. We kept it until 2007 when my wife was unable to drive the std anymore due to arthritis and traded that one in on a 2005 Liberty with the 3.7 liter v-6 and an automatic. I bought a leftover 2006 Commander with the 4.7 liter V-8 at the same time. It did not get 20 MPG :) but served me well until its demise when I hit black ice, then a tree in Feb of 2014. It literally saved my life. I replaced it with a 2013 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 3.6 liter v-6 (70 more HP than the 4.7 v-8!!). I like it a lot, but miss that commander! I have fri8end who have been playing with Jeeps since the early 70s, so I am no stranger to these things.

I am mystified about an issue I am having with the 2005 Liberty. Seems quite a few of them have this vibration issue around 50 MPH. Mine started a few months ago and I'm nervous about letting my wife drive it, so we basically are a one Jeep family right now. If anyone has any helpful ideas, I am all ears...:gr_grin:

I hope to find other Jeep friends here. I have been a car enthusiast in general since the mid-70s building engines and rebuilding cars in general (many were older Volvos). My buddies did the Chevy 327 into a CJ-5 thing in the 70s, so I've been around the fabrication block a time or two.

Looking forward to some fun, new friends and hopefully a couple of answers. Maybe I can help out with some other stuff too having seen a thing or two...

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

What kind of vibration? You mention it's speed related, could a wheel weight have come off?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Few things to check right off
1, rear CV/ boot on the front driveshaft boot deteriorates and dirt etc gets into the rear CV , easy fix 50 bucks
2, rear ujoints, they may feel tight but are actually rusted solid almost
3, right side CV/ Intermediate shaft, splines rust and wear ( intermediate shaft 100 bucks / CV NAPA remanned for 55-60 )
Check the above if you are sure wheels are balanced , no separations in the tread or anything like that

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You have good advice already, so I'll just say (welcome)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy the forum Curt.

Dave