Give me my KJ or give me death!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcdeaglesandwich

Reaction score
I bought a KJ about 3 weeks ago, and while I had always heard about Jeep owners love affairs with just about every jeep product, I was not prepared for it.

My KJ is a 2004 sport 3.7l manual.

It was previously owned by a 17 year old 350 lbs teen. Before that it aside from oil changes it had seen little love in the way of regular maint / repair. Needles to say it ran great(even with the check engine light on).

I took to task repairing minor things as soon as I got it;
rear gate glass would not latch,
no gas cap,
no interior lights aside from console,
washer fluid did not spray,
gate glass struts and hood struts were shot,
ac is not cold
and the shocks were shot.

I felt much more satisfaction on these fixes than I did repairing other vehicles.

I managed to clear two check engine codes by buying a new gas cap. The third code however read as a misfire. I'm no mechanic so I don't understand many terms beyond their basic definition and was rather worried. I did some research and learned it was most likely the spark plugs or the coil packs. I picked up the spark plugs, and began the work early on a Saturday, figuring it would take most of the day. I finished up in about an hour and a half, it was unbelievably easy, an absolute pleasure to work on. I disconnected the battery to clear the codes and started it up no code. Problem solved for about 10 bucks I was ecstatic.

The following weekend I tackled the washer fluid. I had been worried about removing all kinds of stuff to get to the pump until I found a tutorial(it may have well been here) and found out there is a little door just for that right in front of the passenger side front wheel. Once I got the correct pump (20 bucks on amazon after getting a ****** universal that didn't fit from AZ) it took about 30 minutes to complete. I even had to dig around under the windshield to reconnect one of the lines. Many happy feelings were had.

I'm about to order new shocks front and rear and the hood and gate glass struts. The odd thing is that I'm actually looking forward to doing the work(and not just because I'm going to save about 600 dollars doing it myself). I have worked on a few cars in my day, but nothing compares to the ease and joy of working on my KJ.

I'm very grateful for this place and hope to be a frequent guest.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to improve the ride while you have it apart - Ironman springs and shocks can be had for around $700 or OME for about $750 both will restore your ride height and ride to better than factory.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while that sounds great im limited financially to use something far less desirable.

Ya I know how that is. BUT if it still runs and drives right now and nothing is compromised to make it less safe... waiting and saving for a better product will actually save you more money in the long run.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that KJ is finally in a good home getting the TLC it deserves:High 5:

We like to say that it's not yours until you drill a hole in it, but I think you've proven to be a good owner.

Welcome to the KJ cult. Well, it not really a cult, it's more of a club?...a fraternity?....a group?.......
........OK, it's a cult.

Anyway, welcome aboard

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that KJ is finally in a good home getting the TLC it deserves:High 5:

We like to say that it's not yours until you drill a hole in it, but I think you've proven to be a good owner.

Welcome to the KJ cult. Well, it not really a cult, it's more of a club?...a fraternity?....a group?.......
........OK, it's a cult.

Anyway, welcome aboard

I've bled for my KJ. It's definitely a cult haha

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ if you haven't bled for it, it's not yours ;)

Welcome!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a "bloody cult" I tell ya.............

Dave