Gibson, Borla, or Magnaflow cat back system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to install a cat back system on my 3.7L 04' Sport. The problem is, all three of these systems seem about the same. The only difference I see is the price.
I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has either of these three installed allready. i.e. Sound, Proformance, Increased HP, Gas Milage ( better or worse ).
Also, I''v been looking for the lowest price on these systems and the best I found was on Ebay......

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Magnaflow #15870 system on my CRD and it's great. Kinda hard to tell if there's a huge difference in economy as of yet, as I installed it January 26th......I'm still in a region where winter blend #2 is around. The fit and finish is great......I only had to tweak one hanger ever so slightly to get everything to hang to my liking. I hope to be able to make a fair comparison when regular blend diesel gets available for sale. Here's an article I posted with pics :

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2950&highlight=magnaflow

Greg

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the mopar dual exhaust in about three weeks ago; a couple weeks before that i put in a K&N FIPK. It really hasn't been that long with the new system for me either, but there has been some milage improvement so far. I was averaging about 21-22 mpg before, since the install its been around 23.5 Most of the driving i've done is highway. The throttle seems a little more responsive. Definately like the deep tone of the system but its a little louder in the cabin than before. Not enough so that at highway speeds its noticable over the normal wind noise.

Install wasn't difficult, i didn't have access to a lift, so i used jackstands. The install took two hours, someone who had done one before probably could have finished it faster. Even tho they don't come out and say it, it appears to be a borla exhaust, both exhaust tips have "Borla" stamped on them.

I got mine here:
http://www.wyckoff-mopar-parts.com/jeeplibmoppe.html
My KJ is built by ebay almost as much as it is by DC...but i didn't want to go the ebay route on something this expensive.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Magnaflow deal....
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1710

I've got the magnaflow, but currently I have it off my Jeep right now for cleaning. Really nice exhaust, but it is a lot louder than stock. I like it, but my GF doesn't always care for it (since she says its loud... I don't even really hear it while driving). It gives you about 1-2 mpg. I also have a magnaflow free flow cat, so that also makes it louder. =D>

Bennett

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bohica-kj said:
...been looking for the lowest price on these systems and the best I found was on Ebay......

Car Domain or Crutchfield may be the safest way to go for you (APO address, I'm assuming). I could never find a place that ships USPS Priority except them. The end prices (product, S&H, etc.) may be a couple bucks more, but I'd rather wait six days than six weeks for stuff to come in the mail.
O:)

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for all the great imput guys !! Allthough, It kinda makes my choice harder....I was looking at running dual exhaust too (dunno)
I'll get my lift on, then think about exhaust rockon.gif

matt2wheels

Reaction score
I've got an '02 with the factory dual exhaust, which was made by Borla--they have their name stamped on the chrome exhaust tips (although you've gotta crawl under the vehicle and look at them from the bottom up to notice it). Sounds badass. If one of these came up on EBay or a wrecking yard that would be an easy route.

I think pretty much a cat back system is going to net you the same results no matter who you choose--improved sound and responsiveness but probably no significant increase in fuel economy. To really notice it there you're gonna have to do full headers back...and then your mileage will probably go down because you'll make more power which means you have your foot in the throttle harder : )

mf