Getting a hitch and hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
Are there any specifics I have to go by when ordering these?

reason I ask- when I ordered my front drive shaft, I had no idea that the liberty used FIVE DIFFERENT SHAFTS, so I had to send the 16 6/16ths " (measured at the friction welds) shaft back to them (which is still on its way there, and they're currently being molested by a giant blizzard.. phack.) and they're going to send me the correct 18 15/16ths " shaft, after I pay a 15 dollar price difference.. (longer shaft costs more)

SO. after all that being said- is there certain lengths or holes or something I have to measure before ordering hooks or a hitch, or just punch in the year make model and trim and go nuts?

1. any tips on the most bang for the buck product?

2. do I need a huge expensive hitch for the occasional yank out of a hole or something should I get stuck?

3. should I even bother with a hitch and just go for the single hook instead? The ability to tow something sounds nice, but if a hook is more suited for being yanked, then I'm going with one.

I'm going to order a 24,000 lb ARB snatch strap for 60 or 80 bucks.. can't remember- so hopefully if I choose the hitch route, it'll hold up to getting yanked on if I get buried.

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my hitch at U-HAUL it was the best price and a $5 life-time unlimited warrenty its a round tube style with a 2" reciver and made just for libertys sits high up behind the gas tank and looks good. Two week after install I got rearended by a Girl texting at a red light thay said it's not damaged but put a new one on anyways and did not charge me the 5$. Great to tow or put a hook or clevis on.
Only my 2 cents but I am vary happy with it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Porkchop...

Get a Class III hitch, eTrailer has some good prices otherwise hit up your local dealers. Anyone that sells Reese or Curt will have one that fits. Get a shackle mount to put in the receiver and you got a good recovery point, better then the hook in my opinion as its not just pulling on one side but both, spread the load out a big more. With a 5,000lb rating on a Class III your going to max out your recovery strap before the hitch.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what is the best thing to do for front hooks incase you need pulled. I have the factory hitch so that end is covered.

Midgear

Reaction score
I would like to know what is the best thing to do for front hooks incase you need pulled. I have the factory hitch so that end is covered.

ebay.. got em going right now for about 100 bucks shipped. comes with everything you need- that's what I'm gonna do.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went and looked at my hitch it is a class III with a 5,000lb rating and I do have a extera brake light in it when I am not using it after geting hit just wanted to add a little extra protection when not in use it has a brake light runing light and blinks with the turn signels and as KbOnly says it's a stronger mount than a single hook

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score

stockers are nice if your dont want to do any extra work or are having a shop do it. If your handy with tools you should do front d rings from less the half the price of stockers. there is a how to in here. i bought mine for real cheap from westmarine

Midgear

Reaction score
D-rings sound nifty.. but I wouldn't call myself handy with tools- so I'll go with the hooks lol

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ebay.. got em going right now for about 100 bucks shipped. comes with everything you need- that's what I'm gonna do.

not bd I have to look for those unlees you can post a link. dont post a link if there is only one set up I don't want people bidding againt you.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have the factory hitch in the back with a Harbor Freight Receiver hook...

In the front I have the Mopar hooks.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stockers are nice if your dont want to do any extra work or are having a shop do it. If your handy with tools you should do front d rings from less the half the price of stockers. there is a how to in here. i bought mine for real cheap from westmarine

x2 i got the westmarine reciever hitches.
I haven't needed to use them yet, but they seem pretty sturdy, 2 1/2" grade 8 bolts on each into the subframe with a nice wide washers up top to spread the weight out, and i think i'm going to take them out and put a third bolt if i don't decide to make a bumper!