geared hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i was eyeballing my buddy's Hummer, (also some of the military variants we may have around here) and noticed they use IFS.

They use portal geared hubs which lower the wheel away from the CV shaft, maintaining a better cv angle while giving more ground clearance.

I'm just brainstorming here because I can't find much information on the internet about it, just hummers and unimogs. It would seem to me that these would have taken off in the offroad community.

Anyone here think that something like this could be developed for the KJ?

Tjkj, Im sure with your expertise and ideas you have some thoughts?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd have to use a 3 gear hub,otherwise you'd have to figure out how to reverse the drivetrain.If you watch the CV's in a HMMWV while moving forward the CV's are spinning backwards since there geared hubs are only a 2 gear design.Somehow mod them to fit on a KJ and when you put it in "D" you will be moving in reverse and would have to put the trans in "R" to drive forward.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks tjkj. It seems like a good idea to me. Of course that would be a huge technical and manufacturing deal, but just a dream that some company would start manufacturing something like this to bolt on to smaller vehicles that use IFS.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks tjkj. It seems like a good idea to me. Of course that would be a huge technical and manufacturing deal, but just a dream that some company would start manufacturing something like this to bolt on to smaller vehicles that use IFS.
There was a company making some once but at $5000 for a pair they did not sell well.Figure the HMMWV geared hubs are like $1200 each by themselfs.