Gassers, where does your temp guage sit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
cool.. i ask because when i stuck mine in the mud yesterday it started to overheat..

and i never noticed my fan kicking on..

the diagnosis/evaluation begins.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine reads the same.

I have a scan gauge also and it reads 198-202 degrees F when the OEM temp gauge is in that setting. OEM t-stat. Always around 198 highway cruising. If that gives you a comparison in degrees. (99% of my driving is highway)

Dave

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
my fan came on today so im not so worried..

im assuming a temp sensor or something got wet and malfunctioned..

this makes me ponder an override switch.. any opinions or ideas?

Red_KJ_666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For about six months it was straight up and down on the center line. Then I had some fan issues and flushed the stuff from it now it's just down from the center line.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
what do you mean you flushed it.. you mean you flushed your cooling system or you took a garden hose to the fan motor and really sprayed it down or you hosed down your radiators exterior?

Red_KJ_666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean I took the elctric fan out of the engine bay, Then I took my garden hose and ran it through the back of my rad got lots of mud/dedris/bugs and what have you, then I I removed the front grille shell and ran water back through the rad towards the motor then I was amazed by how much crap came out that way, so I just ran water through both ways for a long time until it cleared up. You will be very Very surprised by how much will flush out of cores. Keep in mind You have a Rad then a Trans Cooler then a A/C Condenser up there and lots of crap gets stuck between them.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know firsthand what Red KJ 666 is talking about, I was on the same trail run with him :D

Also I have firsthand experience with the removal & disassembly of the electric fan assembly. I hope to be able to prepare a writeup complete with pictures. It's really not that difficult.

In my case I have the OEM trailer package which means I have the mechanical clutch fan & the electric fan that most stock Libby's have. My coolant temp is typically constant at 193 degrees C (I have a scangauge tool) which is at the center of the dashboard gauge. I made a discovery recently that the fuse to the electric fan had blown but only after my Libby began overheating while on the trails (bothe the transmission & the engine). I guess the mechanical clutch fan wasn't enough :eek:

By the way I have heard of other offroad vehicles that overheated because of mud caked between the radiator fins so yes it is a good pratice to wash them out now & then with a garden hose (no pressure washers :eek:).

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
There are also cleaning products that are specific to this type of cleaning of coils. In my work, I have cleaned many a condenser coils in bigger AC units for buildings and such. The products are a foamy expansion type of detergent that helps push out the dirt between the fins. Along with plenty of water thru the fins, it really helps the efficiency of the unit.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
There are also cleaning products that are specific to this type of cleaning of coils. In my work, I have cleaned many a condenser coils in bigger AC units for buildings and such. The products are a foamy expansion type of detergent that helps push out the dirt between the fins. Along with plenty of water thru the fins, it really helps the efficiency of the unit.

so if i were to go to walmart, menards, lowes or like tomorrow what could i pickup to aide with this? because im pretty sure ive got some cakeage.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
so if i were to go to walmart, menards, lowes or like tomorrow what could i pickup to aide with this? because im pretty sure ive got some cakeage.

I'd ask for some aluminum fin coil cleaner. They may or may not have it, but I'm thinking it should be at a major retailer though. I used stuff that was Industrial, and ordered through our suppliers. Or go to a AC service person local, and ask them if they have it. Heck, you could even soak the rad in Simple Green or something like that, then flush with lots of water from an open garden hose...no pressure washers! ;)