gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akkj

Reaction score
Hey all, was just wandering what kind of gas mileage is the norm? My 06 KJ only has like 400 miles on it and i get maybe 250 miles out of a tank. Thanks.

twinlibbies

Reaction score
I've had both of mine for about 3-4 months now and they both get between 17.5 and 19.5 mpg. Usually right at 18mpg. 3.7L gas '03 libbies.
I wouldn't care if they got 10mpg. I'd still love them!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
akkj said:
Hey all, was just wandering what kind of gas mileage is the norm? My 06 KJ only has like 400 miles on it and i get maybe 250 miles out of a tank. Thanks.

Normal for winter city driving. Thats what i get.

2003KJ

Reaction score
i'm getting 12.5mpg right now, all city. Fixin to do a tune up in the next week or so.

Give it some time....it will get better once the engine breaks in.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get about 18mpg in the city during the summer if I cut down on short trips. Now with a little bit of highway driving, too many short trips to count, and cold weather I am getting about 17mpg.

Just one note. The gas light likes to come on with quite a bit of fuel still in the tank. I've the needle all the way on E and was only about to put about 16.5 gallons in when; it is a 18.5 gal tank. Or only about 15.5 gallons in when the light comes on. So I have 3 gallons left when the light comes on.

I think the new 06 KJs have something like a 20.5 gallon tank.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Eddo said:
I can get about 18mpg in the city during the summer if I cut down on short trips. Now with a little bit of highway driving, too many short trips to count, and cold weather I am getting about 17mpg.

Just one note. The gas light likes to come on with quite a bit of fuel still in the tank. I've the needle all the way on E and was only about to put about 16.5 gallons in when; it is a 18.5 gal tank. Or only about 15.5 gallons in when the light comes on. So I have 3 gallons left when the light comes on.

I think the new 06 KJs have something like a 20.5 gallon tank.

I've successfully managed to put in 18.2 gallons when stopping on the first click, and my gas light was only on for about 300 FEET. It came on right as I was pulling in to Costco to get some gas. So I wouldn't put a whole lot of money on its accuracy.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gone 460 miles before on a single tank.

My wife's 3.7L will go 300 miles or so in the summer time. 250 or so in the winter.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.7 V6:

Mixed... winter... 17's.

Mixed... summer... 18's.

Highway only... 21's at 75 mph. Add two mpg if I stay at 65 mph.

maureen58

Reaction score
mileage

I have my '05 for 8 months now and have over 15,000 miles. My speed average is 40 mph and average mpg is 17.7, just a shade worse than my '03 was.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi...........Gas mileage huh...... I've got an 05 - 3.7l/AT/Tow pack with the 3.73 rear (probably worse mpg than the 3.55 which is standard). 6,800 approx miles.

So......here goes

Per EVIC I get

1) 21.5 on 300 mile trip at 65-70 (all highway)

2) 16.6 to 17.5 mostly city

3) 15.3 with OD locked out and in full time - (only some of the time) - on a trip through the mountains in various speeds 45-65. (i got on it some)

4) 15.6 - 250 mile trip with 51 off road miles on a gravel road - sand pit - through the woods - over rocks (not boulders) and through mud holes. Used 4L in sand pit - mud - and over rocks, 4H and Full Time for the rest of the off-road. (Wanted to see how everything worked) About 200 miles of this was normal 65-70 flat highway in 2WD. ( and carryin 100lbs of mud)

I don't know how accurate this is as i reset the MPG on the EVIC each time so it's probably a little worse.

I guess if you need real good gas mileage you need to get a small aerodynamic car.....................Or you could keep the Liberty which is REAL FUN to drive. I FEEL GOOD drivin mine!!! It's my SECOND favorite thing to do...

I'm NOT givin mine up...............

Dave

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
bout 17-18 on recent trips to the pocono's
get about a lil over 300 miles on a tank....(tho now i get about 280 ish)
i get about 12 or so city..sometimes worse

dano104

Reaction score
So if I was getting around 160-180ish per tank before my sparkplugs were changed ( 47k miles on them yesterday ) I should be getting at least 220-250 miles per tank.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to be lucky if I got 15 even. Much of the time it was lower in evenly mixed driving. The best tank, as I recall, was 19+, but never 20.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Guyute1210 said:
Dave said:
It's my SECOND favorite thing to do...
What's your FIRST favorite thing? O:)

ahh damn you beat me to it! I was gonna ask that!...LOL

dano104 said:
So if I was getting around 160-180ish per tank before my sparkplugs were changed ( 47k miles on them yesterday ) I should be getting at least 220-250 miles per tank.

160-180ish to a tank???...OUCH!!!! thats like barely even 10mpg! You should see atleast a tad better milage in yours.....but I have to wonder if you have something wrong with yours. Checked that air filter lately? Hows the engine running?

Probably wouldn't hurt to run a can of BG44K through your gas tank too...that stuff did wonders for mine when my milage first started dropping down to the 11-12 area.

ohh and I forgot to add my best tank was 23mpg all highway on a 4 hour non stop trip to the beach this past summer....a/c on the whole way, and little cruise control.....runnin about 75-80mph most of the way. Second best tank was 20mpg on a trip to the mountains last fall.....pretty good considering i was going up and down all mountains all day and didn't touch the cruise control.

dano104

Reaction score
I guess I should have clarified.

Yeah I just took my 2002 sport in for a ****** drain/flush/filter replacement, transfer case drain and fill, and replaced my 47k mile spark plugs. ( when I bought my jeep she had 35k miles ) 5 of the 6 plug's electrodes were burned down to the porcelin. When I got her back I noticed a huge change in repsonsiveness, and about a 2 mpg difference. After it was all said and done my local garage charged me $139 which included the filter, and the platinum champions. So the plug change made a BIG difference. But before all of this my airfilter was recently replaced, so that couldn't have effected it. She ran fine, and Idled smooth. I'm guessing the plugs were the cause.....

2003KJ

Reaction score
I did a short write up on the stuff here and how to find the stuff. If you still have a question just ask and i'll try to answer it for you.