Fuse Mystery, Left side lights gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I was changing the Stop, Parking light bulbs for both side and now my Left Side Parking Lights, and License Plate Light are not turning on.
Everything else is working.
I thought it was the fuse, I had probably screwed up or something, looked in the fuse panel, referring to the owners manual, (left park light/left tail light) it said Cavity 23, 10 amp red.
There's no connection for #23. What the Hell? There's not even a fuse!

Has anyone experienced this, is it a fuse I'm not looking at? Or something more serious?
I mean it's just the parking lights, not super serious. But am asking you guys before calling the Dealership.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Okay, I was changing the Stop, Parking light bulbs for both side and now my Left Side Parking Lights, and License Plate Light are not turning on.
Everything else is working.
I thought it was the fuse, I had probably screwed up or something, looked in the fuse panel, referring to the owners manual, (left park light/left tail light) it said Cavity 23, 10 amp red.

Has anyone experienced this, is it a fuse I'm not looking at? Or something more serious?
I mean it's just the parking lights, not super serious. But am asking you guys before calling the Dealership.

If they were OK before the change, I would suspect a bad new bulb first. Then go from there. I believe slot 23 is empty actually because there is a park lamp relay that is internally fused, located somewhere else on the junction block.

PS. The plate light is included in the same circuit as the parking lamps on the left side.

PARK LAMP DOES NOT ILLUMINATE

POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION

1. Faulty or missing fuse. 1. Test and replace park lamp fuse as
required.
2. Faulty or missing bulb. 2. Test and replace park lamp bulb as
required.
3. Faulty or missing relay. 3. Test and replace park lamp relay as
required.
4. Faulty switch. 4. Test and replace multi-function switch as
required.
5. Faulty ground circuit. 5. Test and repair open park lamp ground
circuit as required.
6. Faulty feed circuit. 6. Test and repair open park lamp relay
output circuit as required.
7. Faulty BCM inputs or outputs. 7. Use a DRBIIIT scan tool to test the BCM
inputs and outputs. Refer to the appropriate
diagnostic information.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also thought it was the bulb, tried the bulb from the right side. Not the blub. Front left side parking lights do not work, but turn signal does. Plate light not on, rear parking light not on, but brakes, fine. Rear turns, and back ups working. Just left side parking.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentleman said:
From the 04 FSM it appears to be fuse 7, 10 amps

Bob

Bob, you are the man! =D>
That's the fuse. Weird thing, my owner manual says that's supposed to be an empty slot. Chalk that up to another owner manual mistake.
Thank you.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy to help, the FSM says 23 is an empty slot, the FSM writer and the owners manual writer need to have a meeting

Bob

jtalef

Reaction score
Gentleman said:
Happy to help, the FSM says 23 is an empty slot, the FSM writer and the owners manual writer need to have a meeting

Bob

I'm having the exact same problem on my '03 Renegade. I've checked the bulb and it appears good.

On a different note from the poster above just before my lights went out the left turn indicator on my cluster turned on and wouldn't turn off.

Any thoughts? I'll check my fuse tonight. Can anyone verify the fuse for the left side running lights/parking lights on an '03?

Thanks!

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jtalef said:
Gentleman said:

Bob

I'm having the exact same problem on my '03 Renegade. I've checked the bulb and it appears good.

On a different note from the poster above just before my lights went out the left turn indicator on my cluster turned on and wouldn't turn off.

Any thoughts? I'll check my fuse tonight. Can anyone verify the fuse for the left side running lights/parking lights on an '03?

Thanks!

Check #9, I also poped the fuse for my instrument lights.

jtalef

Reaction score
Interestingly, I just replaced the fuse in #23. I turned on the parking lights and wham, the parking lights are on, as is left turn signal. I check the lights around the Jeep again, the license plate light is burned out, so I change it. Turn on the lights again and same thing, then bam, they're off again. I check the fuse and it's blown again. I guess this is out of my league at this point. I hope this doesn't cost me a fortune to fix at the dealer. [-o<

waldn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:

big discussion about this in LOST forums last week. http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4972
seems a lot of 04 owners manuals are wrong.
So I posted what mine says and seems to do the trick for most people.
here it is hope it helps.

Code:
From my owners manual  2004 Liberty
Fuse Panel Description

Cavity	Fuse		Description
 1	15 amp Blue	Horn Relay, Power Sunroof Relay, Power Window Relay
 2	10 amp Red	Rear Fog Lights (export only)
 3	20 amp Yellow	Cigar lighter
 4	10 amp Red	Headlight Low Beam Right
 5	10 amp Red	Headlight Low Beam Left
 6	20 amp Yellow 	Body Control Module/Power Door Locks
 7	10 amp Red	Left Park light/Left Tail Lamp/Licence Plate Lamp
 8	SPARE
 9	10 amp Red	Right Park Light/Right Tail Lamp/License Plate Lamp/Cluster
10	SPARE
11	15 amp Blue	Flasher
12	15 amp Blue	Stop Lights
13	10 amp Red	Body Control Module/CMTC/Cluster/Pass. Airbag On,Off Indicator, Auto Daylight Mirror/Light Bar Switch (Renengade Only)
14	10 amp Red	PDC Fuel Pump/AC Clutch, Starter Relay/Engine Controller/Transmission Controller (Diesel Only)
15	SPARE
16	20 amp Yellow	Power Outlet Rear
17	15 amp Blue	Rear Wiper
18	20 amp Yellow	Radio Choke and Relay
19	20 amp Yellow	Frt Fog Lights/Trailer Tow Stop and Turn
20	SPARE
21	10 amp Red	Radio
22	20 amp Yellow	Power Sunroof Relay/Antenna Module (Export only)
23	SPARE
24	10 amp Red	PDC Blower Motor
25	10 amp Red	Heated Seat Switches/HVAC Control Head/Trailer Tow Battery Charge
26	10 amp Red	Headlight High Beam Right
27	10 amp Red	Headlight High Beam Left
28	SPARE	
29	10 amp Red	Heated Mirrors/Rear Window Defroster Indicator
30	15 amp Blue	Heated Seat Module
31	SPARE
32	10 amp Red	Wiper Switch/Front and Rear Wipers
33	10 amp Red	SKIM Module/Data Link Connector
34	15 amp Blue	Body Control Module/Cluster/Interior Lights, Hands Free Module/Radio/CMTC/ITM Module & Siren (export only)
35	SPARE
36	10 amp Red	Airbag Control MOdule/Occupation Classification Module (Right Front Seat)
37	10 amp Red	Airbag Control Module
38	10 amp Red	ABS Controller/Shifter Assembly
39	10 amp Red	Hazard Flasher (Turn Signals)/Backup Lamp Switch (Manual Transmission Only)/Transmission Range Switch (Automatic Transmission Only)

jtalef

Reaction score
Problem solved...

Well, just in case anyone was curious about my driver side running light situation. I took it the dealer they spent two hours examing it and found out that the trailer wiring kit (DrawTite) was faulty and was shorting out my fuses. They disconnected one of the leads from the drawtite break out box and now all is good.

I got it home and removed the rest of the drawtite wiring. The guy who installed it used ChannelLoc's. I don't know about that considering I live in MI and we have all sorts of rain, snow and salt we're driving around in.

I'll get a new harness (the ones that plug into existing factory wiring) this Spring, and put it in myself.

Cost: $99.18 for two hours labor a 20 amp fuse and a 10 amp fuse.