Fuse confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I remove a fuse there is no connection and so there should be no electricity running through it right?

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to remove the front dash panel where the radio is and the charger in the front is connected to the panel.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to remove the front dash panel where the radio is and the charger in the front is connected to the panel.

You don't need to pull any fuses for that. Remove the screw in the cubie hole at the bottom( or behind ash tray depending on the year of KJ) and run a credit card along the edit of the trim to pop it off. Then disconnect the cigar lighter. Also putting the ****** in 1st gear and t-case in neutral or 4lo helps to give more room. E-brake the jeep obviously

Why do you have to remove the panel if you don't mind me asking?

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front panel is the plastic dash that is around the radio and temperature controls.

Here is the whole story.

I removed the front panel already. I was figuring out how to remove it because I like to take things apart. The charger was connected (cigarette lighter) and I did not realize that you can just pull it out of the back. I saw a part I thought I would have to use my screwdriver on. Not realizing that the metal would do anything I touched a screwdriver to it. Pop. Now the charger doesn't work. I got a fuse tester and tested all my fuses and found the bad fuse. I bought the exact same fuse and replaced it. It works again.

However I still did not get the charger disconnected. So, I pulled the front panel off again and this time thinking that if I just pulled the fuse there would be no connection and no pop, I pulled the fuse and touched the metal again. Pop. Then I discovered that you can just pull the connector off the back. I learned the hard way. I replaced the fuse but my front charger still doesn't work.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably blew another fuse, did you check all the fuses again or did you just replace that one? If the fuse is still good, the metal on the inside will be whole and if the fuse is bad, the metal u shape will be burned in half. And my apologies if this sounds condensending, I'm just hitting all bases.

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no pull the panel off and behind the panel is where the charger connects to the panel. on the back of the charger it looks like it would disconnect.

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it! It was a blown fuse that my fuse tester couldn't reach I just had to pull fuses and look to see if the metal in the middle was broken. The funny part is I didn't think it was a fuse because when I took it to the dealership for something else I asked them to check the fuses and they said they were fine.