Fuel Overflow Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read that fuel overflow is a common problem on the KJs, and in fact, I've posted about it in previous threads.

My KJ did it once in a while, but now, it does it every single time.

I need to fix it at this point.

I'm out of warranty. Is there a recall or TSB that the dealer will fix it under?

Can I fix it myself?

My KJ is a 2005 Limited.

Thanks.

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read that fuel overflow is a common problem on the KJs, and in fact, I've posted about it in previous threads.

My KJ did it once in a while, but now, it does it every single time.

I need to fix it at this point.

I'm out of warranty. Is there a recall or TSB that the dealer will fix it under?

Can I fix it myself?

My KJ is a 2005 Limited.

Thanks.

Has a TSB listed above in the sticky section. Has DIY troubleshooting step by step.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has a TSB listed above in the sticky section. Has DIY troubleshooting step by step.
The way I read it before I started this thread was that the TSB was for the fueling start/stop problem where the fuel pump constantly shut off.

I didn't think they were the same problem. Maybe I read it wrong or missed the correct TSB. Let me check again.

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I read it before I started this thread was that the TSB was for the fueling start/stop problem where the fuel pump constantly shut off.

I didn't think they were the same problem. Maybe I read it wrong or missed the correct TSB. Let me check again.

Help me understand, Your problem is that the pump doesn't stop pumping gasoline when your KJ is full? Is that correct? After the pump stops are you trying to put just a little more gas in it to round up to the next 10 cents or dollar?

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help me understand, Your problem is that the pump doesn't stop pumping gasoline when your KJ is full? Is that correct? After the pump stops are you trying to put just a little more gas in it to round up to the next 10 cents or dollar?
That is pretty much my problem.

I insert the pump nozzle into the filler neck, pull the trigger and set the lock. I let it go until the pump clicks off. I've always done that with every car I own.

My KJ now, however, shoots gas out of the filler neck before the pump will shut itself off. The is a big "burp" of gas that shoots out right when the pump clicks off. Every dang time now.

I use a debit/credit for gas, so I could care less if it is near the next ten cents or dollar. The price is what the price is.

I just want the tank full without it overflowing.

I've used different gas stations, different pumps, I make sure the nozzle isn't in a bind and I have tried different nozzle possitions in the filler neck. All situations product the same result... Gas shooting out of the filler neck before the pump will shut off.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem - I just go to "manual mode" and go light on the trigger and it'll stop before gushing out 99% of the time. There are still those times when it does though...very frustrating.

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got this problem, too. I've just resulted to figuring out how much is in my tank to start and manually stopping it when i think im close. I've gotten quite good at this over the past year.

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky on that one. Mine has to be in the right position not to turn off automatically when I need 10 gal. If I try to top it off after it stops automatically gas is a sprayin. I would follow the TSB trouble shoot step by step because if it's not venting correctly you would expect the result would be the burp or spraying gas.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If out of warranty your stuck paying out of pocket as there is only a TSB for this issue.You can fix it yourself,it just involves replacing the whole gas tank,about a 1.5 hour job with basic hand tools.

My problem with this is - what's the point in dropping that cash, given that it'll just do it again most likely.