Fuel injector question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbtconsultants

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, we pulled the fuel rail as part of the removal of the 3.7l from our 2002 liberty. The engine is back in and we're putting everything back together but I have a concern. If you look at this picture of an injector you'll see there is a little Cone shaped plastic piece on the end of the injector (brown piece far right in pic). 5 out of 6 of our injectors came out without that plastic cone. They are lost now, probably remaining in the heads that got replaced.

Is this plastic cone piece necessary? I'd hate to have to buy new injectors because I can't find that cone available anywhere. I bought o rings for the injectors and they came with little blue "pintles" that I thought were the replacement but they aren't the same, they look like little derby hats with a pinhole on top. They fit, but my guess is they would not function the same as the cone which is wide open rather than having a small pinhole.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

You must be registered for see images attach

rbtconsultants

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. No one ever lost one of these and tried the injector without it and had success or failure? Obviously I can try it but with all the other variables of a rebuilt engine I'd like to minimize chances for having to troubleshoot issues that may have nothing to do with the rebuild.

Thanks

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer. No one ever lost one of these and tried the injector without it and had success or failure? Obviously I can try it but with all the other variables of a rebuilt engine I'd like to minimize chances for having to troubleshoot issues that may have nothing to do with the rebuild.

Thanks

Bob

When I did my HGs and had the injectors out, one (#6) didn't have the "bonnet". Assumed it came off in the head and disintegrated. Just put the new o-ring on it and stuck it back. That was well over a year ago and no problems.

rbtconsultants

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. We'll I guess we'll give it a go today and see how we do.

Thanks

Bob

Latest posts

Members online