Fuel gauge never goes down, needle stuck in the middle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

estebanrf

Reaction score
I have a Liberty 2007 4x2 Limited and the fuel gauge acts strange, never show levels below half tank, is stuck in the middle, but at filling up the needle starts moving up and upon the end shows a check engine error code about an "implausible fuel level" or something like that. Send the car to the dealer and replaced the floater sending unit but the problem was not fixed. What could be the problem???

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Liberty 2007 4x2 Limited and the fuel gauge acts strange, never show levels below half tank, is stuck in the middle, but at filling up the needle starts moving up and upon the end shows a check engine error code about an "implausible fuel level" or something like that. Send the car to the dealer and replaced the floater sending unit but the problem was not fixed. What could be the problem???

Well, I would say the problem is the dealer - they replaced a part without fixing the issue. Take it back and tell them to fix it right this time.

Bob

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie sees no problem, you'll never run out of gas!

The sending unit is dead or the wiring leading from it is compromised, check wiring first.

Also, the only reason you're having this problem is because you called it a car :)

clauserg

Reaction score
Hello... Hope somebody can read this messaje... I have the exact same problem with my KJ 4x2 2006... I would like to know how the issue with the harness was fixed or was it fixed by the dealer without not telling you what they did??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello... Hope somebody can read this messaje... I have the exact same problem with my KJ 4x2 2006... I would like to know how the issue with the harness was fixed or was it fixed by the dealer without not telling you what they did??
Post number 4
Problem solved. It was a bad connection in the harness coming from the fuel pump/sending unit.
so more than likely they just started checking all wiring/ connections etc and found it

clauserg

Reaction score
Thanks... I just wish to know what wiring was checked out so that I can try to fixt it myself

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Post number 4
Problem solved. It was a bad connection in the harness coming from the fuel pump/sending unit.
so more than likely they just started checking all wiring/ connections etc and found it
Technique known as “Easter egging” by us twidgets…tried and true…

clauserg

Reaction score
Is there a way to find the wire harness diagram and the ECU connectors pinout for this Jeep KJ 2006?? (FREE)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Is there a way to find the wire harness diagram and the ECU connectors pinout for this Jeep KJ 2006?? (FREE)
Yep. Just search the forums here for 2006 parts fiche and service manual. I’m on mobile or I’d post a direct link