Frozen parking brake actuator -- removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys --

I posted previously about having some difficulty with my parking brake. While I think I have the shoes and hardware sorted, I researched some more and saw that a frozen parking brake actuator is relatively common. Well, it certainly is the case on my car. Upon reinspection both actuators are very rusted.

I just took everything apart again and removed the parking brake from the clip on the actuator. However, I am having trouble getting it out from the backing plate. Basically, with the hub in the way I am not exactly sure how to remove it. Do I need to get both pieces to unfreeze before I will be able to pull it out? They have been soaking in PB blaster for a few hours now and I sprayed them more just now in anticipation of trying again tomorrow.

I've tried wrangling with it and just don't see how it will fit on the way out. And, what makes me more nervous is if I can get it out, I don't think I'll ever be able to get it back in! :)

Convince me it isn't that hard.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand what your saying it's recommended to pull the rear axles to service the parking brake. Not saying you can't manage to change the shoes with out pulling the axles but to truly service the the parking brake it is required.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've already swapped the rear parking brake shoes and hardware without removing the axle (followed a DIY here) so it certainly can be done. I know the FSM recommends differently. But removing the actuator is pretty challenging with the hub in the way...

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, got them out today after some torching, a BFH, and a screwdriver. Was able to remove them without removing the axle and basically had to separate the 2 pieces in order to get them out.

Man they were rusted solid. Cleaned them up with a metal wire cup on my drill and then put on a decent amount of silicone brake lubricant. The only thing was I ended up chucking the dust boots for this piece. I'll keep on eye on things to make sure they don't get too crudded up.

Also replaced all 4 calipers, did a brake flush, and painted the hubs / vanes on my rotors. Ble

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick update on this -- my parking brake hasn't been working again so I pulled it apart this weekend and guess what -- damn actuators are rusted solid again. In addition, my shoes were unevenly shot probably due to these frozen actuators and a time or two when I accidentally drove a little bit with my parking brake on.

I am waiting for a hardware kit to get delivered and will again clean off the rust and lube things up.

I have to say I am a bit surprised -- I moved from Chicago to southern California in Dec 2013 (2 months after originally doing this service)...was hoping the nicer weather would significantly slow down the rusting! Guess not....

stumpumper46

Reaction score
Parking brake actuator

I just now had your problem after 13 years and 215000 miles. I think I got away so long because I use the parking brake often. Maybe that helps prevent it from seizing up.

I got on the net hoping to find an answer how to remove it and what I found was what I feared.

There does seem to be a plate which I am going to try pushing out the back side of the backing plate with a 1/4 inch extension. If that works, I'll come back and post it. If you don't hear again from me, it didn't work.

I posted previously about having some difficulty with my parking brake. While I think I have the shoes and hardware sorted, I researched some more and saw that a frozen parking brake actuator is relatively common. Well, it certainly is the case on my car. Upon reinspection both actuators are very rusted.

I just took everything apart again and removed the parking brake from the clip on the actuator. However, I am having trouble getting it out from the backing plate. Basically, with the hub in the way I am not exactly sure how to remove it. Do I need to get both pieces to unfreeze before I will be able to pull it out? They have been soaking in PB blaster for a few hours now and I sprayed them more just now in anticipation of trying again tomorrow.

I've tried wrangling with it and just don't see how it will fit on the way out. And, what makes me more nervous is if I can get it out, I don't think I'll ever be able to get it back in! :)

Convince me it isn't that hard.[/QUOTE]

stumpumper46

Reaction score
Parking brake actuator.

I just now had your problem after 13 years and 215000 miles. I think I got away so long because I use the parking brake often. Maybe that helps prevent it from seizing up.

I got on the net hoping to find an answer how to remove it and what I found was what I feared.

There does seem to be a plate which I am going to try pushing out the back side of the backing plate with a 1/4 inch extension. If that works, I'll come back and post it. If you don't hear again from me, it didn't work.

Convince me it isn't that hard.[/QUOTE]