Front Timing Cover Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if others have leaks up by their front timing cover area.
It seems like the whole front area is covered up as high as the power steering pump, and it runs down the front of the engine.
I have tried cleaning the area with the pressure, but with the lance being as long as it is, it is difficult to clean everything well.
The rubber within the harmonic balancer is quite swollen, so If I have to go that far to replace the harmonic balancer, and front crank seal, I may as well do the front cover too.

Anyone else with a leak like this?

Front driver's side of the engine:

You must be registered for see images attach

Upper passenger side:

Upper driver's side behind the power steering pump:

Underneath the engine looking at the harmonic balancer:

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the common leaks in that area are 1- high pressure power steering line 2- oil pressure sensor (right above oil filter) 3- transmission cooler lines at where the hose connects to the steel line, and 4- front main seal.

I am thinking from the pics what you are showing is the front main seal. There are threads in here about replacing it. Sounds like hardest part is you need a special tool to pull the HB.

I will say, mine looks worse than yours and I do not have to add oil between oil changes.

I do need to also do the power steering high pressure line and to do the 3/8th ID hose fix on the transmission cooler line. My oil pressure sensor was not a source of my leaking.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Same here on both of mine. Never really affected oil volume between changes.

Just some free rustproofing for me ;)...

Reactions: JRB

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done the power steering and transmission hoses already, so it just leaves this left to fix.
Based on the service manual, it shouldn't be too hard. I just may need some threaded rod, washers, and a nut to press the harmonic balancer back on.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Reactions: JRB

JasonTheOverlander

Reaction score
Are we talking oil or coolant? I had a leak that drained almost all of the coolant. The culprit was the water pump, but it was a fairly easy repair, out with the old in with the new.

Latest posts

Members online