Front shock assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nolakj

Reaction score
I’ve got the lifted OME springs and shocks for the front and am looking at the upper shock mount and whether a new mount is necessary. I see there is a bushing of sorts built into the upper mount so maybe replacement is a good idea? My question is whether or not there is anything besides the isolator for the bottom of these assemblies?

nolakj

Reaction score
Iso top and bottom
Thanks Tom. I will definitely replace the ISO’s top and bottom. Would you recommend replacing the front shock mount (that metal thingie with the 4 studs that mounts the assembly to the frame)? Thanks for all of your KJ know how !

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
along this line - would a bad iso make a noise similar to a bad sway bar link? I've been all over my 04 and replaced many worn parts. Still got that rap on the right side going over a bump. Front end shop says it is good, but didn't give much love because I did all the uppers and lowers and inners and outers on my own.

nolakj

Reaction score
along this line - would a bad iso make a noise similar to a bad sway bar link? I've been all over my 04 and replaced many worn parts. Still got that rap on the right side going over a bump. Front end shop says it is good, but didn't give much love because I did all the uppers and lowers and inners and outers on my own.
Have you checked your bushings for the power steering rack? Might be unrelated but these have caused a few noises in my rig in the past.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
will at times

nolakj

Reaction score
I had a shop assemble my first set of lifted fronts and they forgot to put the washer under the nut at the top of the assembly. It eventually ripped through the bushing of the top mount. That was fun.

paul@

Reaction score
alot of times, its a worn out, passenger side intermediate axle,that will cluck over bumps....

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alot of times, its a worn out, passenger side intermediate axle,that will cluck over bumps....
Found that little bit of slop on this 04!

also, embarrassed to report, the clunk sounded exactly like sway bar links. Which I just replaced. Which my front end alignment shop noted. As a thought one early morning, i pulled kj back into garage to grease again after a river crossing and found … I had forgotten to tighten the upper bolts on the sway bar link on the klunky side. As i recall, some distraction happened and i walked off for a bit.

funny, the front end guy missed it too. He is usually quite good.