Front rotors - hard to replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed yesterday there was a grinding sound from the front when braking, peeked in at the pads and outside pads show lots of wear left, could not see inside easily but notice that the inside of the rotors have wore very unevenly while the outside of rotors are smooth.

Will pop the wheels off tonight when I get home and have a better look, I'm thinking I'll probably pick up some new rotors at some point anyway - is it a big job to change these for the back yard mechanic type?

Re the noise, I was coasting it down a slight incline with the motor off & having a good listen to make sure it was coming from the front, it was, but then after a few brake applications the grinding noise stopped completely when stopping. I thought maybe it was because the pressure on the power brakes had gone after a few presses, but even after starting and trying again the grinding noise was gone. However my wife just called me (its her vehicle) and said she can hear it when she stops or slows down, so I'll put new pads in it tonight in any case.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going to take off the brake calipers to do pads, its minimal to remove the rotor as well. If its original rotors, they are retained by a jagged looking washer that fits over one of the wheel studs. Flat top screwdriver to remove and rotor will come straight off. Then remove the cast metal brake bracket that the caliper bolts on to. Its the brake caliper, bracket + rim and wheel nuts that keep it in place when going down the road.

Also don't let your brake caliper hang by the hose. Tie it up to the upper control arm (UCA) so there is no stress on the line as you fight with the other pieces.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going to take off the brake calipers to do pads, its minimal to remove the rotor as well. If its original rotors, they are retained by a jagged looking washer that fits over one of the wheel studs. Flat top screwdriver to remove and rotor will come straight off. Then remove the cast metal brake bracket that the caliper bolts on to. Its the brake caliper, bracket + rim and wheel nuts that keep it in place when going down the road.

Also don't let your brake caliper hang by the hose. Tie it up to the upper control arm (UCA) so there is no stress on the line as you fight with the other pieces.

thanks much!