Front End Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked around on other posts and couldn't identify my problem being specifically the same as other peoples. The rattling is most prominent in reverse, when im backing up i constantly hear a metallic rattling. It also happens occasionally when I am in Park, not in neutral, and only in Drive when i first step on the gas from a complete stop.

*On a side note* I get a squealing sound from the Jeep when i am turning semi-sharp, any ideas?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heat shield that's rattling??

Squealing? is that you turning with the wheel at a lock position? that's your P/s pump squealing.

Last edited:

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squealing? is that you turning with the wheel at a lock position? that's your P/s pump squealing.

From around half way to full lock, it sounds like it is metal rubbing on something (only happens in motion)

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the swaybar end links. There is a washer on them that if the bushing is worn enough it can make a rattle sound

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft. When it's bad it makes all kinds of weird noises - rattles, squeals. clicks, squeaking, you name it. Cheap maintenance item - buy the replacement CV at driveshaftparts.com.

Bob

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft. When it's bad it makes all kinds of weird noises - rattles, squeals. clicks, squeaking, you name it. Cheap maintenance item - buy the replacement CV at driveshaftparts.com.

Bob

What is it I should be looking for on the driveshaft? The boot looks ok (not ripped, or leaking grease). Is there a way to know for sure thats what it is?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Take the front driveshaft off and see if the noise is still there