front drive shaft bolt torque ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I am not asking something that has already been answered somewhere . I tried a search but did not find what I need .

I am replacing the front drive shaft on a stock 2006 liberty . Can anyone give me what I need to torque the 6 bolts on each end to ?
Thank you for your help

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend getting yourself a Haynes manual for your Jeep. They list all the specs including torque values for everything. Super handy to have!

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both a FSM and a Haynes manual. I find quite a few errors in the Haynes with regard to torque specifications. however, the Haynes will give more detailed procedures quite often.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys , now I have a new problem . Replaced shaft with one from EBAY . lasted 3weeks . The knuckle joint in the boot came apart on the case end . Maybe I should have know better , but the price was right ( $185.) had to take the trailer and haul the jeep back home and hour and a half each way . That part is now " out of stock " . Found out it is an importer with a US location . I need to add that they did give us a full refund and they don't want the part back .
My problem is the kid drove was driving back from school and as the vibration got worse she pulled over until I got there . problem is we lost all a pair of bolts and the strap for the T case end . I thought I found the part number , but apparently it does not fit ours . Can any of you direct me with the correct number for that bolt kit ?
2006 liberty 3.7 ( I did torque to 22lbs and checked them with a second wrench )

Thank you for your help

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are replacement CV joints and you don't have to replace the whole entire driveshaft.

you can get replacement CV joints from Driveshaft & CV Joint Components

If you just need bolts, I have my set from a replacement CV joint that I didn't use.
Just pay for shipping.

I used blue loctite with mine.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USS , Thank you very much for the offer and the response. I copied and pasted the driveshaft and CV joint components and it brought up a company in Florida . If I did it right the part number for that replacement kit is Product Code: ME807 ? That would cover everything I need at a much lower cost ! I can give the kid back her money and just cover this one myself . Poor college kids !

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USS , Thank you very much for the offer and the response. I copied and pasted the driveshaft and CV joint components and it brought up a company in Florida . If I did it right the part number for that replacement kit is Product Code: ME807 ? That would cover everything I need at a much lower cost ! I can give the kid back her money and just cover this one myself . Poor college kids !

Yeah. that's correct.
Most of us here have good running experience with it so far.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kid has this thing home again and told me about a " new noise ". Guess what my first thought was ! Well I don't think this is the issue after getting under it tonight , but still looking at a couple things .
I did find that the end of the boot is slinging a small amount of grease . Is there something better to use than the little band they send with the kit ? I had it tighter than heck I thought to start with . It has loosened and lets the boot have a little front to back play .

thank you

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kid has this thing home again and told me about a " new noise ". Guess what my first thought was ! Well I don't think this is the issue after getting under it tonight , but still looking at a couple things .
I did find that the end of the boot is slinging a small amount of grease . Is there something better to use than the little band they send with the kit ? I had it tighter than heck I thought to start with . It has loosened and lets the boot have a little front to back play .

thank you

safety wire?
zip tie?
it's just to hold the grease in, that's it. i think some minor front to back play is fine.

initially there might be small amount of grease slung out but after that it should be good.

deboy922

Reaction score

I could not get the original band to not ooze and sling grease. I tried a plastic zip tie, and it also oozed grease. I then used a worm-gear hose clamp, and it is working well so far (been installed for 3 months). There is probably a better method.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could not get the original band to not ooze and sling grease. I tried a plastic zip tie, and it also oozed grease. I then used a worm-gear hose clamp, and it is working well so far (been installed for 3 months). There is probably a better method.
If using zip ties you need a zip tie gun to get it properly tight. As such.
You must be registered for see images

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys . My first thought was to use a worm gear clamp but didn't know if it would mess with the balance . That tie gun would be handy to have around for many little jobs . I will look into one .