Front diff seal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigo

Reaction score
Posted this in the KK forum by accident so I reposting here.......

Hi all, I was wondering how difficult is it to change the front pinion seal on a 03 sport, it has been leaking for a long time and i think there is no to little oil in the diff. It was getting noisy at 35mph plus during winter in 4x4 mode but it is OK in 2x4 during summer, only seems noisy when it is cold too.

Is a seal all I need plus oil (90 grade?) and where do you fill it, I can see the drain plug but could not find the fill plug, is it behind the mounting plate or something? thanks for reading.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

justjeeps

Reaction score

Hi all, I was wondering how difficult is it to change the front pinion seal on a 03 sport, it has been leaking for a long time and i think there is no to little oil in the diff. It was getting noisy at 35mph plus during winter in 4x4 mode but it is OK in 2x4 during summer, only seems noisy when it is cold too.

Is a seal all I need plus oil (90 grade?) and where do you fill it, I can see the drain plug but could not find the fill plug, is it behind the mounting plate or something? thanks for reading.

Hey Craigo - I changed out a rear dif seal a few years ago on a 02 but now there is a clunk in the back and since all the rear suspension has been replaced I am wondering if I made a mistake when loading the bearing. I ran in to an issue when the nut had to be replaced and the replacement was different. It through out my thread count and ping marks.

On the plus side it has never leaked. Had to use a big pipe wrench along with the torque wrench.

tom3tone2012

Reaction score

Usually have to pull cover yo drain