found out whats wrong with rear upper control arm **PIC**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i took the arm out to replace it and found my clunking and creeking source. the boot for the rear ball joint is degrading and letting moisture in.

You must be registered for see images attach

i replaced it with the aftermarket option from orielly auto parts and all my noises are gone!

start to finish it took me 2.5 hours, removal and installation. mike

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After market ball joint or did you replaced the entire boomerang?

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced the entire boomerang. cost $200. part # CB28013. it is an exact copy of original down to holes and ovals in the stamping. also the same exact harware (10mm bolts with a torx inlayed into the head) was used to hold the parking brake cables. the two units side by side look identical. even the same #'s stamped into the sheet metal.
the only difference in parts was the aftermarket had a blue boot around the balljoint. the original had a black boot. mike

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced the entire boomerang. cost $200. part # CB28013. it is an exact copy of original down to holes and ovals in the stamping. also the same exact harware (10mm bolts with a torx inlayed into the head) was used to hold the parking brake cables. the two units side by side look identical. even the same #'s stamped into the sheet metal.
the only difference in parts was the aftermarket had a blue boot around the balljoint. the original had a black boot. mike

hmmmm. possibly a moog balljoint?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
never used one from there before have used some other aftermarket ones that looked the same and they only lasted about 12-15,000 miles
Keep everyone posted on how yours works.
When I moved I had 6 used ones laying in the corner, the old neighborhood junker dude loved me plus I gave him a whole 8.25 rear diff :happy175:

dtschro

Reaction score
rear ball joint

have same issue with 02 liberty ., however , after crawling under to take a look at it , discovered that bracket that holds a arm and ball joint to diff was cracked in half at bottom bolt on diff . also discovered that one of top bolts was backed out about half way . i am going to replace bushings and ball joint , but any ideas on where to find that bracket ?
thanks

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
have same issue with 02 liberty ., however , after crawling under to take a look at it , discovered that bracket that holds a arm and ball joint to diff was cracked in half at bottom bolt on diff . also discovered that one of top bolts was backed out about half way . i am going to replace bushings and ball joint , but any ideas on where to find that bracket ?
thanks

A salvage yard?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks

Mopar Online Parts: Repair Parts

Enter your year and model, click on rear suspension, it'll open a drop down, click on rear suspension again, then click on upper control arm. For your year it's $111.49 for the Dana axle and $196.65 for the Chrysler axle. Or a salvage yard like Ridenby said.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The bracket is the same for all years
I have one from an 02 , another from a 06 ( spares of course :whip:) and then of course the one on mine and all the same

dtschro

Reaction score
Ball joint bracket

Anyone know where i can find rear upper ball stud bracket for 02 liberty ?
Dealer wants 285 bucks

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw this rear upper control arm is still holding up good!

well i spoke too soon (egg on my face). had a clunking in the rear that was not resolved by the recall on the lca's. so i took the 1 year old upper rear control arm out to inspect the bushings. here is what they looked like.

mortified i went and bought the mopar one at the dealer and it's bushings look more beefy.

put it back together and my clunks are gone again.

this aftermarket part from orielly's came with bushings that did not even last 18 months! so obviously if you are in the market for a rear upper control arm the dealer looks like the most quality part!
mike
p.s. my kj has a 6 speed manual trans,could this cause more stress on these bushings?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks like a candidate for the ol' windshield urethane mod.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is an ongoing issue for the KJ
Why not fab up your own?
Truss/LCA mount for a TJ on the top of the axle
Beefed up for the added stress
For the UCA
Large "Johnnie Joint" on the axle end
Stardard TJ lowers at the "frame end"
Modify the frame end of the KJ
Problem solved

New Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recall?

I received a recall notice last week, and if I am not mistaken, it's for the rear upper control arm.

We're in the middle of moving/renovating, so I will have to check to be sure when I get home.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received a recall notice last week, and if I am not mistaken, it's for the rear upper control arm.

We're in the middle of moving/renovating, so I will have to check to be sure when I get home.

i also received one last week for the lower control arms, just had mine completed before i replaced the uca.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
well i spoke too soon (egg on my face). had a clunking in the rear that was not resolved by the recall on the lca's. so i took the 1 year old upper rear control arm out to inspect the bushings. here is what they looked like.

mortified i went and bought the mopar one at the dealer and it's bushings look more beefy.

put it back together and my clunks are gone again.

this aftermarket part from orielly's came with bushings that did not even last 18 months! so obviously if you are in the market for a rear upper control arm the dealer looks like the most quality part!
mike
p.s. my kj has a 6 speed manual trans,could this cause more stress on these bushings?

Knew it wouldn't last Like I said before tried the cheap ones and they are just that
Buy the regular Mopar one and be done