Found my coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JavelinAMX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whelp I finally found my coolant leak,
You must be registered for see images attach

sorry for the cell phone pic.
this is the passenger side head with the a/c compressor off, there is a crack that might be hard to see in the pic by the bolt nearest the intake manifold. put a pressure tester on and water rushes out of where the bolt is.

so, next step, should I look for a refurbed head/s? or find a junkyard head and hope for the best. jeep has 101xxx and it was born 3/02.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go for refurbished/rebuilt unless you can get a good price on a rebuildable JY head.

I'd definitely get any used cyl head checked, even after all these years a 3.7 goes for a lot (IMO) usually the ones being parted out are cores with a problem someplace.

What a weird place to crack, is this a common issue? I get why it might it's a weaker area but.., wouldn't be my first guess.

Btw you can uses newer cyl heads by swapping the cam gear for your old one. If you're ordering rebuilt just give them the details and it should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JavelinAMX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thinking about doing some rigging to slow it down at least until I can figure out what way to go. I found a refurb head loaded (valves, cam, lifters) for around $450 which doesn't seem wicked horrible to me, but I have to save up for it. and I know replacing in pairs is optimal but the funds arnt there to do that.
guess some good ol junk yard savaging is in order too.

the only logical way I can think that this happened is that, the one bolt was over torqued and/or the head wasn't tighten down in the right sequence.

Latest posts

Members online