FNG=Noob ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I am looking at getting a 06 CRD in about 2 weeks and have a few Q's to ask. I have been looing around at some of the posts and have not really found anything yet. So here goes.

1. Chip tuning for the CRD or will I have to get it done here in Germany?

2. On-Road suspension upgrades for 4X4. I live in the land of Autobahns and need to make sure the suspension is up to standard.

3. Brake pad upgrades and don't say EBC as their products are crap. I used them on my race car and got 1500 miles out of them. I am a fan of Ferrodo but nothing found.

4. Skid plates that do not interfere with basic services and are tough. It may drive the autobahns but when I want nto go somewhere I want to go there. I have training areas to inspect so 4X4 was the way to go.

5. What is the most aggressive tire I can get with a H speed rating? Sound I could care less about.

6 What about lockers? No need for the higway but deep snow in the Alps I will need them.

7. HID(Real ones not bulbs) conversion? Sometimes I am out late in the mountains and need extra light. Hella Xenon off-road lights are on the list of things to get.

8. K&N Filter is good for the CRD? Have them in all my cars.

9. Anyone make a nice ROPS for the Liberty?

10. Adjustable dampening shocks like Koni for the KL?

11. Ujoint problems with the KJ/CRD because of the TQ?

12 Poly bushing set for the KJ?

13. What is the KJ speed limited at?

14. Anyone done any E-spec parts conversions? Headlights, tailights, side blinkers, badges or guage cluster?

15. Factory radio replacement and speaker replacement in stock locations?

16. Any sesitive areas I should look after, after off roading?

17. Any real changes I NEED to do as soon as I get it?

18. Particle filter available in the US or should I get one here?

19. I read that higher grade diesel in the US is the way to go. Germany has several and I have been told it is better than the best in the US, any truth?

20. What is the best break-in for the CRD?

Sorry for the 20 questions but I have a lot to ask and will have more on the way. I have no idea as to what color but I know that it will be a Sport as there are no Limiteds in country nor do they have a ship date. I am going to grab the first thing that is available. All CRD's for Exchange New Car Sales have been halted do to some engine problem they are having in the US. For some reason they don't have it here on the e-spec models. I still think it is the high sulfer content fuel that is in the US. The MB E320 CDi and VW TDi's have had the same problems for years. Thanks a ton.

BTW my other choice was a 2002 MB ML 400CDi.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jinstall said:
3. Brake pad upgrades and don't say EBC as their products are crap. I used them on my race car and got 15 miles out of them. I am a fan of Ferrodo but nothing found.

Hawk Performance Brakes
High Performance Street (HPS) Part #HB373F.689
Light Truck & SUV (LTS) Part #HB373Y.689

I have experience with the HPS series on cars, and IMO there's nothing better. They're a bit more dusty than OEM brakes, but not too much. Just to ease your mind, they're not the "Hawk Blues" that eat your rotors, they're just an extremely good brake pad. I have no experience with the LTS series, by reading about them, they seem like they're a bit less stopping power than the HPS series.

jinstall said:
12 Poly bushing set for the KJ?
I DO NOT recommend a poly bushing set for offroading purposes. You'll eliminate flex quite a bit, and I can't imagine that's a good thing for the Liberty. It may seem like a good idea for on road (cornering etc.) but it's been commented in the past that the Liberty is a bit harsh over uneven road surfaces (at speed) and I can't imagine you'll want to make this worse. In my experience making a car too "jittery" on road makes for a very unpleasant drive, and besides it actually slows you down on uneven corners as you're bouncing over the bumps and spend less time in contact with the road. IMO you want to keep the suspension pliable unless you're having handling problems at VERY high speeds on reasonably flat surfaces (autobahn??) and you really don't want to just simply drive slower.

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks. I am still thinking of doing the E-spec suspension conversion. That was the reason for the Shock question as the Koni's could be adjusted for the off-road and then on-road settings.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. You will probably have to do it in Germany. There are loads of European companies that do good chips.

2. Adequate for the UK motorways (Stable at about 85 mph)

3. I have the rear drums on mine and they are OK. The 2006 will have discs all round.

4. Mopar skids are easy to install and don't interfere with servicing.
5. I have Cooper discoverer ST's (all terrains).

6. Lockers may be a bit of worry on the front diff as it is aluminium. But rear lockers are available. ARB seem to be a good unit.

7. Not sure. Not done it.

8. I use the standard air filter on my CRD.

9. Don't know what you're talking about?

10. I have stock on mine.

11. Not due to torque. Lower UBJ are quite weak on all KJ's. They need to be monitored. I've had to change one already.

12. I have polybushes on the front swaybar. They are daystar and work pretty well.

13. I've done 90 pmh in mine and reached the limiter.

14. Mine is European spec. Bought it in the UK.

15. ?

16. Front skid fills up with mud and stones and needs cleaning out after offroading. No other problems on mine so far.

17. NO.

18. Fitted as standard in Europe.

19. I use standard UK diesel in mine and it works great.

20. I didn't bother. The dealer told me it was broken in at the factory.

These answers are based on my own experience with a 2002 Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) 2.5 CRD limited with a manual gearbox.

Hope this helps.

Ian

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks a ton. ROPS Roll Over Protection System. Thinking of using it to drag the race car to Brans Hatch next summer. I have been told it is a nice track to drive. What is the Diesel per liter there now?