Fluid covering inside of front wheel well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamG

Reaction score
Check pics - I had a shop put in a front and rear lockers, ARB rear and lock right in the front. I drove it for about 50 miles and was installing some new lights in the front when I noticed this in the drivers side. My first thought was maybe diff fluid - gear axle- but it is thicker than that. Mechanic did state that they did loosen lower control arms to get the cv axles out a bit to get the locker in and I should get it back in for an alignment. Any ideas? It is a thick light brown in color.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20150628_005011.jpg
    20150628_005011.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20150628_005102.jpg
    20150628_005102.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 40

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a strong cleaning agent such as Purple Power (Autozone) and wash all the grease off the boot. That color grease is what is inside the CV boot. Once the boot is washed and dry, move the boot around, pinching and flexing it with your hands/fingers. Feeling for damage and looking for fresh grease coming out of the boot. With force run your finger inside every groove and along every ridge of the boot.

Maybe the shop accidentally damaged the boot while working with your vehicle.

I had a tiny pin hole in a boot and it did the same grease spatter type of pattern.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a CV boot cracked to me too. Like said above a big split will sling it all over and a small hole will do something like that. My Subaru just let loose (big crack) recently on the front passenger side and threw it everywhere. It's still burning off the exhaust even after trying to clean it all up.

AdamG

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply- I thought that might be what it was and glad to get verification.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think of this one from my 01 Outback. Just a small nick. :gr_grin:

My daughter never said a word about it. One day I went to change the plugs and noticed the grease everywhere. I could even see it from the top side.

BTW the roll pin was a PITA.

Attachments

• IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 23

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF!!! Yeah, just a small nick in the cv boot......should be able to fix it with a a little bit of duct tape. Good thing your daughter didn't mention it to you earlier as you may have been wasting time on an unnecessary repair ahead of time. See, your daughter is the smart one....looking out for your 'time management'. The other day my baby girl just happened to bring me her rig telling me she is tired of the brake pedal "tickling" her foot. And yeah, the brake pads, rotors were toast.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day my baby girl just happened to bring me her rig telling me she is tired of the brake pedal "tickling" her foot. And yeah, the brake pads, rotors were toast.

I've had the brake thing recently too. I usually get the "hey dad the car is making a funny noise". Then they tell you it's been doing it for the week. At least both of them are quick to say if the CEL comes on.