Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QueensJeep

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting ready to change all the lubricants in my KJ. I know that for the Transfer case and ****** I need ATF+4. But I dont know if I should use synthetic in the front and rear differentials.

I picked up the limited slip additive for the rear diff since it is Trac Loc. Also, what weight oils do you recommend for the front and rear diffs. I do not do any towing, or severe off roading.

Is Valvoline ATF+4 ok or should I purchase Mopar fluid?

Also, what type of antifreeze is in this car? What should I buy?

Thanks!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF+4 is ATF+4,any brand will work,Castrol makes ATF+4 also,all are full synthetic fluids hence the high cost.Most synthetic gear lubes(like Royal Purple and Amsoil) already have the frition modifier in the oil so none is needed,having sythectic gear oil is cheap and if you don't get to change the diff fluids every 12,000 miles like you are suposed to it's cheap insurance.I use 75/140,if using dyno gear oil use 75/140,synthetic you can get away with 75/90 if you don't tow,offroad,or live in a hot climate.All KJ's(all Chrysler vehicles made after '00) use GO5 coolant,Zerex makes it and is at most parts stores.GO5 does not mix with any other type of coolant,mixing GO5 with other coolants turns it into acid.

QueensJeep

Reaction score
Thanks, So 75/140 for both the front and rear is ok? I will def go with synthetic for a few more bucks. I just didnt want to hurt anything with the synthetic.

If I use Mobil 1 lube and the LSD additive with that cause any problems? Does Mobil 1 have the additive in it?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, So 75/140 for both the front and rear is ok? I will def go with synthetic for a few more bucks. I just didnt want to hurt anything with the synthetic.

If I use Mobil 1 lube and the LSD additive with that cause any problems? Does Mobil 1 have the additive in it?
I'm not totally sure if Mobil1 has the friction modifier in it,read the labels on the bottle and it will tell you.If it does do not add any more friction modifier it can ruin your LSD.I know that Amsoil and Royal Purple have friction modifer already added,can't say forsure about Mobil1 though.

Going 75/140 F/R will not hurt anything if using synthetic since it flow better then dyno gear oil of the same weight.I use 75/140 F/R and have no problems.

Latest posts

Members online