Florence Run Pictures....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, what can I say except… “yet another fantastic day, on some Arizona trails, with a really great group of people”!!!

We meet in Florence, AZ, did the meet and greet and then headed down Price Road towards Box Canyon (Wells #55) where we were in water the entire length of the canyon. Once out of the canyon, some of us played on a pretty rough hill climb for a while. You should of seen the look on the faces of the three Rubicon drivers after Russ and Kevin went down the hill in their KJ's. The Liberty’s just continue to make believers out of the Wrangler guys.

Next. we made our way to Martinez Cabin (Wells #52). I had a feeling my wife’s unlifted KJ would have trouble on this run, so we took the TJ. I’m really glad we did, otherwise we would have been left behind. The trail in and out to the cabin is nothing but a rock field. After an hour off for lunch, we had to go back out through the rocks the way we came in and headed towards the Gila River to pick up the back side of Walnut Canyon (Wells #57) and back to the highway via Battle Axe Road.

Some highlights of the run were the rough terrain we covered, impressing a group of Rubicon drivers. Kevin getting winched over a rocky ledge and later pulling a full size Chevy pick-up truck up a very steep dirt ledge. Picking up two Land Rovers and a Dodge pick-up and leading them back to the highway. The Land Rover guys had a group of people from Norway with them. They too were totally impressed with the Liberty’s. One guy talked about getting his daughter one.

At the end of the trail, we aired up. Robert, Russ and Mary had to leave us at this point. Beth and I, Kevin and Paul found our way to the Chinese Restaurant in Gold Canyon for dinner. That place is quickly becoming a routine stop for us on our way back to Phoenix.

Guys, Beth and I had a blast on this run thanks for coming out and making this a really fun day for us. Kevin, thanks for a fine job of leading us through the wilderness.

A very special thank you to Paul!!! Instead of letting us all figure up how much we each owed for the dinner bill, he graciously picked up the tab. Paul, once again thank you. That was a class act!!!

We’ll see everyone on the next run….

AJ and Beth

I couldn’t get too many action shots being at the end of the line on this run, but here are a few I managed to squeeze off….

rkeegstra in Box Canyon...

You must be registered for see images attach

M&P40 climbing over an obstacle in the canyon...

Corwyyn taking a video of M&P40 making the approach to another obstacle in the canyon......

The optional hill climb we were playing on...

Me starting down the optional hill climb...

Corwyyn doing a nose dive coming down the optional hill and if you look close, filming at the same time...

Pablo picking his line through the rocks on the way to Matinez Cabin...

M&P40 and Pablo crawling through the rocks...

rkeegstra making his way along the trail...

Taking a break...

Corwyyn out in front deciding what line we're going to take (it was harder than it looks)...

Last edited:

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some nice pics there, but how come you never take ur kj out? last few times i see u out in the wrangler while the kj sits.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some nice pics there, but how come you never take ur kj out? last few times i see u out in the wrangler while the kj sits.
Thanks about the comment on the pics.

As for the KJ never going out... look through the Trips forum for lot's of pics of the runs it's been on. Only the last "two" trails we've done have been too rough for my wife's "stock" Liberty. It's her daily driver and we don't want to tear it up too much, that's what the TJ is for.

We've been on about six or seven runs with the AZ Jeep KJ Country gang and one with AZ L.O.S.T. since last Spring, plus a trip to Canyon de Chelly with 106 water crossings, one to the mountains of Colorado and two to southwest Utah. So not to worry, the KJ has seen it's share of dirt and rocks.

The pics I just posted in this thread, really do not do the trail we did justice... it was much rougher than it looks. It was pretty rocky with some steep ledges. The other KJ's we run with are lifted and have better off road tires.

Besides, it never hurts to have a TJ along to help out a KJ when the need arises. :p :D ;)

Here is one of the easier rock ledges...

This is what happens to stock KJ drivers that can't keep up with the big kids here in Arizona... LOL

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good time! Always been a fan of rocks.

ohh, Id rather have the creature comforts of the Kj over a wrangler. Only other Jeep you'd catch me offroad in is a cherokee or zj. :D

Maybe someday Ill have a tj..

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pix

Looks like a good time! Always been a fan of rocks.

ohh, Id rather have the creature comforts of the Kj over a wrangler.

Ditto all around - it was a good time, I'd rather run on rocks than anything (expecially mud), and I much prefer the comfort of the KJ over the Wrangler.

Some of us in the water in Box Canyon:
You must be registered for see images

Pablo driving on up the solid rock stream bed:

Corwyyn decides whether he wants to take the rock on the right or on the left:

AZKJ, on the other hand, goes over the center:

Put your wheel in the air like you just don't care:

No hands:

What is reflected in your Jeep's window?

I get all tippy:

A 15-20 foot section of road had completely washed out into a five foot deep hole with fairly steep sides. This loooooooong wheelbase Chevy pickup had high centered coming out of it - I was surprised he got that far, and hadn't hung up on both ends at the bottom:

Corwyyn pulled him out, earning his karma points for the day:

...and then he gets to go through the washout:

Here's M&P40 coming up the other side of the washout:

...and Pablo just about to drop into it:

One of the Land Rovers we picked up along the way - this is the same place as AZKJ's last picture where he said it was harder than it looked:

Pablo gets some air under his wheel:

Great weather, a great bunch of folks, great scenery, and some challenging terrain.

---photos now location tagged for the geographically curious---

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, great pics guys. Did that trail get worse? I remember it being a little more moderate than that.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome pic's......

Dave

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh, Id rather have the creature comforts of the Kj over a wrangler. Only other Jeep you'd catch me offroad in is a cherokee or zj. :D

Maybe someday Ill have a tj..

Ditto all around - it was a good time, I'd rather run on rocks than anything (expecially mud), and I much prefer the comfort of the KJ over the Wrangler.

Nothing against TJ's, they're PLENTY capable....but you'd be surprised how much more comfortable the JK is over the TJ, sometimes it's actually more comfortable than our KJ. I know the seats are a heck of a lot better. :D

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a great time, i would post some pics but my limited photo skills were extremely low yesterday, i guess all pics were messed up :( I am sure it is really easy to mess up pics with my point and shoot style.
that trail did not get worse from when we were out there last, we did not go out box canyon all the way, basically we went to martinez cabins and then backtracked a bit to pick up the walnut canyon trail and followed that out, that walnut trail is mighty rough and fun. not quite as challenging as sunflower mine loop but really close.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing against TJ's, they're PLENTY capable....but you'd be surprised how much more comfortable the JK is over the TJ, sometimes it's actually more comfortable than our KJ. I know the seats are a heck of a lot better. :D

i determined in my own mind that a stock Tj is "almost" as capable as a lifted liberty(lol)

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i determined in my own mind that a stock Tj is "almost" as capable as a lifted liberty(lol)
LOL and all I had to spend on the stock TJ was money for M/T tires and skids... not the 3-4k most of you guys did to raise your KJ's. Grant you the KJ is more comfortable, but we're talking about two different kind of vehicles. For long trips and 2-2.5 rated trails, I'll take the KJ. For anything harder the TJ gets called to duty.

Beth still says, "NO" to a lift for her KJ.... :D

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow what a trip.... wish i was there...

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow what a trip.... wish i was there...
When we were heading down the trail from Martinez Canyon toward the Gila river Robert (I think) mentioned how much you would have loved that trail. Might think about running it again before the monsoons hit and that spot in the trail by the river gets more washed out. Maybe backwards next time... idea.gif

I'll post up my meager pics in a few, and try to get the video up later this week.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, here are my pictures. I didn't take as many as I normally would since I was also doing some video (I'll get that up later this week):

One of the umptey-million saguaros in the desert

Patient Jeeps waiting for distracted drivers

Heading in to Martinez Canyon

Russ coming out of the Martinez Cabin leg

A small waterfall in the desert

Paul waiting for the rest of the gang

Last photo op of the day (and a chance for me to log a geocache :))

If anyone has Google Earth and would like to see my GPS track of the trip drop me a note with your e-mail address and I'll zip it off to you.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! Great pics! Looks like you guys had a blast. Always great to see a KJ pulling a Chevy Pickup over some obstacles.

dloc_jeep_KJ

Reaction score
those are some great pics. ive always wanted to wheel out west. looks like alot of fun for sure. those trails look like my style!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.