Flat towing a Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lori Meyer

Reaction score
Jeep told me that I couldn't flat tow my 4x4 JL Jet. I see RV's towing Libertys all the time. Has anyone flat-towed their 4x4 Liberty?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep told me that I couldn't flat tow my 4x4 JL Jet. I see RV's towing Libertys all the time. Has anyone flat-towed their 4x4 Liberty?

Does the T-Case in the KK have a Neutral option? KJ's have a neutral option to disconnect the wheels from the transfer case (per say), meaning that the auto trans won't spin creating heat without an active pump. There are ways to get around the need for a neutral T-case I believe but don't quote me on it (maybe removing the driveshafts...but that may cause fluid to leak from the transfer case).

Lori Meyer

Reaction score
Yes, it does have a neutral option and it does explain in the manual the steps to flat tow but says to read full details about towing online. Couldn't find those details so I asked Jeep directly and they said no, which leaves me wondering why the neutral option is there.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does have a neutral option and it does explain in the manual the steps to flat tow but says to read full details about towing online. Couldn't find those details so I asked Jeep directly and they said no, which leaves me wondering why the neutral option is there.

I'm not sure they know what they're talking about. So long as you have neutral, the tow bar, and some sort of brake assist system I would think that you would be good.

Full disclosure: I've never actually flat towed, nor have had an interest in it. The only knowledge of flat towing that I really have is the stuff I learned when I bought my Scion tC. The previous owners used to flat tow it and gave me all of the towing equipment with it. It had the mounted bar in the front (attached to the frame), the actual bar to connect to that, and a Brake Buddy system. Of course wiring was ran through for the braking system too. The reason the tC doesn't need a neutral transfer case is because it's a stick.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a rather extensive story about someone flat towing their KJ behind a motor home...I just can't remember which site it was on. They never had any issues and had done it for thousands of miles.
The KK has no differences in the drivetrain from the KJ. I don't really see why it wouldn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a rather extensive story about someone flat towing their KJ behind a motor home...I just can't remember which site it was on. They never had any issues and had done it for thousands of miles.
The KK has no differences in the drivetrain from the KJ. I don't really see why it wouldn't work.

Besides the electronic selector for the T-Case.

Here is a thread specific to a 2012 Lib KK. I guess the Full time 4WD t-case might not have a neutral option?

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26334387.cfm

Lori Meyer

Reaction score
I just learned that it has an aftermarket tow hitch/plug on it. It does have the tow/haul mode on the dash. I want to pull a 5x8 cargo trailer from AZ to NJ. I'm hoping I won't have problems. The cargo trailer weighs 900 lbs. empty and I'm loading it with boxes and household stuff but nothing heavy.

Attachments

• liberty.jpg
    liberty.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 9

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just learned that it has an aftermarket tow hitch/plug on it. It does have the tow/haul mode on the dash. I want to pull a 5x8 cargo trailer from AZ to NJ. I'm hoping I won't have problems. The cargo trailer weighs 900 lbs. empty and I'm loading it with boxes and household stuff but nothing heavy.

(00 plus some furniture , should be no issue at all.
With my 04 I know I have hauled over 4500-5000 with no issues.
I have a 6 X 10 enclosed that I have drug all over Ohio , plus couple of trip to Boston , 4 to Orlando and back etc

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pulled my wife's Civic (on a tow dolly) from Missouri to San Diego taking the northern route through Colorado. We were moving, so my Jeep was full of things as well as the towed car. Easily 4K when all said and done.

On the steeper hills I had to slow down, but she pulled the whole way with no issues.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
900 ain't squat for these little tow trucks.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two different issues being discussed here...

Lori, your original question was about flat towing your Liberty. Flat towing is when you tow your Liberty behind an RV or other vehicle. There are specific steps to take to properly tow behind an RV - and your KK is almost certainly set up to be towed.

The other issue that's been brought up is towing a trailer BEHIND your Liberty. As long as you have a quality hitch on the rear of your Liberty and a wiring harness to plug the trailer's lights into you're set up to tow a trailer. If your Liberty is equipped with the tow package from the factory (which includes the hitch, wiring and a heavier cooling system) then you'll be able to tow up to 5000 pounds. If you're adding an aftermarket hitch and wiring then you should be able to tow up to around 3500 pounds. (There will be discussion here about the tow limits I put here but it has to do with the ability to control trailer brakes - another thread for another time...)

Which issue are you asking about - towing your Liberty behind an RV/tow vehicle or pulling a trailer behind your Liberty?

Bob

Tinkrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive flat towed my 05. KJ. For as long as. Ive owned it
Xfer case in neutral.
Transmission in park
Steering wheel unlocked
Brake buddy installed
Thousands of miles and no problems

At one time there were five. Kjs being towed. By various members of out RV GS Chapter

PS I have a Blueox hitch and. Baseplate plus I tow a Utility Trailer. With my KJ

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which issue are you asking about - towing your Liberty behind an RV/tow vehicle or pulling a trailer behind your Liberty?

Bob

She mentions both. Maybe she's talking about wanting to flat tow the Jeep behind an RV, with a trailer hitched to the Jeep. lol

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen that done before. Don't necessarily encourage it, but when you're out in the middle of ********** nowhere, USA and your broke down, you do what you gotta do sometimes.

Randy Rynders

Reaction score
I flat tow my 09 Liberty. I just followed the Owners manual instructions for "Recreational Towing" @ pg. 385 ish.

4wd728

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the new Jet model. This post can be info for those with older Liberty's. My Liberty is an older 2006 model 4x4 that I have flat towed across the USA with a towbar I had welded up and modified from a commercial product (Blue Ox). Blue Ox has had failure problems. Most of my towbar was modified at a welding shop with new yoke and all parts are steel now with grade 8 bolts. I use the M & G Engineering air brake system. I have a motorhome that has air brakes. I'm not rich, I just know how to rebuild diesel and gas engines and all the RV systems and took this on as a project. I installed the M & G system myself onto the Liberty and there have been no problems. I have the emergency brake equipment, too. It is all under the hood and I just hook the hose up to the motorhome and that is it.

I put the transfer case into neutral and the gear shift into 6th gear. I have a manual transmission. My Liberty operator manual said the gear shift needs to be in a gear. Be sure that transfer case is in NEUTRAL. I rock the Jeep back and forth to be sure. I haven't had any problems with this set up. There are a few other things I do, but that is specific to what type of brake lights you will use and such. I installed a heavy duty power switch like my motorhome has next to my Liberty fuse box and it turns off all power. My tow umbilical harness has 12V power supplied to recharge my Liberty battery and operates my modified Liberty tail lamp section. I just remove a couple of fuses to isolate the stock Liberty harness from the tow harness. After a while, it is just a normal everyday thing to do all of this and is not a hassle for me. I don't have to setup or remove an auxiliary brake or tow light system and from the outside, it looks like a stock Liberty. I have printed a checklist 1, 2, 3, etc. so I don't forget anything. I also use a large made for Liberty boot that covers the entire front end, hood, fenders, and windshield. I bought this used, too, and was lucky to get it.

When using a tow bar, do not put the RV into reverse. The tow bar was not made for that. I have used a car hauler with another Liberty I own. That might be simpler for some, but the over all weight of your tow system needs to be compared to the weight limitations for towing of your RV. I don't have a place to stow that car hauler, so, the towbar works fine for me.