flag mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't talking about the mount but the flag itself. I guess a longer flag pole would correct that. And only a concern for the U.S. flag which shouldn't be flown from the rear of a vehicle unless it's a motor cycle.
Yep then use a longer pole. Most ise a 3x5, but you can still get away with a 4x6 and still be good.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And only a concern for the U.S. flag which shouldn't be flown from the rear of a vehicle unless it's a motor cycle.

Please submit an link to offical wording of this for futher review.

Edit: becuase i know you wouldn't submit the code

Flag Code (Section 7b):

The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

Now isnt the hitch considered "fixed firmly to the chassis"?

Last edited:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please submit an link to offical wording of this for futher review.

Edit: becuase i know you wouldn't submit the code

Flag Code (Section 7b):

The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

Now isnt the hitch considered "fixed firmly to the chassis"?

Your quote is correct and has traditionally been interpreted even by the U.S. Military as the front right of the vehicle either attached to the chassis or fender. I expressed a concern about the U.S. flag touching the ground it was not directed at you or your product. I don't know what your problem is unless you think this will in some way hamper your sales. If that is the case then sir your concern is your pocket book with total disregard to the flag. By the way if you read the whole U.S. Flag code I believe you will find something in there about not mounting it in such a way that will cause it to be torn, soiled etc. etc.

Carry on

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your quote is correct and has traditionally been interpreted even by the U.S. Military as the front right of the vehicle either attached to the chassis or fender. I expressed a concern about the U.S. flag touching the ground it was not directed at you or your product. I don't know what your problem is unless you think this will in some way hamper your sales. If that is the case then sir your concern is your pocket book with total disregard to the flag. By the way if you read the whole U.S. Flag code I believe you will find something in there about not mounting it in such a way that will cause it to be torn, soiled etc. etc.

Carry on

Well I see your point, you are correct. But at the same time, mounting via the hitch and then fabricating a bracket extending to the passenger side would just be nonsensical. There are all kinds of flag codes that nobody follows, mainly due to the fact that people just love to be supportive and patriotic. There's codes saying the flag should not be used on clothing, disposable items, advertisements Yada Yada yada, yet we see it all the time. Unless someone is blatanty doing something with the intent to have a negative impact, I see no issue with it

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I see your point, you are correct. But at the same time, mounting via the hitch and then fabricating a bracket extending to the passenger side would just be nonsensical. There are all kinds of flag codes that nobody follows, mainly due to the fact that people just love to be supportive and patriotic. There's codes saying the flag should not be used on clothing, disposable items, advertisements Yada Yada yada, yet we see it all the time. Unless someone is blatanty doing something with the intent to have a negative impact, I see no issue with it

I agree hence my question as to if it woukd drag on the ground. Really my only concern.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Carry on

I was the flag officer when i was in the military, so we can go all day with this.....

Code 176 (e)The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

Yes you are correct about that. But in case if you didn't know, they make a high wind flag/all weather flag. So a $4 harbor freight flag would be ripped to shreads in a few mins, But I have a flag that has been flown on a SPC-LE with top speeds of 60mph+ for over a year and it still hasnt torn, but has been washed a few times.

But a flag can also be washed or dried cleaned, as the flag code DOESN'T prohibit the washing of flags. As long as theflag*remains suitable for display, washing or dry-cleaning*is recommended if needed.

I DONT supply the American Flag with the products. They are intended for ANY flag use, and I cannot control what customers do with the items they buy. But i always recommend buying the best flag you can afford, as the durability will be greater.

Its not about my pocket book. If you didn't know, I already have a day job and another "night job". So building stuff for the Jeeps is just a hobby. I can pull all sales on products and live perfectly fine and be just as happy as I was before.

So in short, I dont supply the flag to be torn, just a mount for ANY FLAG, whether that be US flag, State flag, Confederate flag, gay pride flag, or Jeep club flag.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was the flag officer when i was in the military, so we can go all day with this.....

Code 176 (e)The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

Yes you are correct about that. But in case if you didn't know, they make a high wind flag/all weather flag. So a $4 harbor freight flag would be ripped to shreads in a few mins, But I have a flag that has been flown on a SPC-LE with top speeds of 60mph+ for over a year and it still hasnt torn, but has been washed a few times.

But a flag can also be washed or dried cleaned, as the flag code DOESN'T prohibit the washing of flags. As long as theflag*remains suitable for display, washing or dry-cleaning*is recommended if needed.

I DONT supply the American Flag with the products. They are intended for ANY flag use, and I cannot control what customers do with the items they buy. But i always recommend buying the best flag you can afford, as the durability will be greater.

Its not about my pocket book. If you didn't know, I already have a day job and another "night job". So building stuff for the Jeeps is just a hobby. I can pull all sales on products and live perfectly fine and be just as happy as I was before.

So in short, I dont supply the flag to be torn, just a mount for ANY FLAG, whether that be US flag, State flag, Confederate flag, gay pride flag, or Jeep club flag.

Ok I know better but let me ask this. Why do you feel the need to go through all of this when the original question asked to " WickedBruce" was if the flag touched the ground under certain conditions. You put yourself in this conversation and made implications that I was posting unsubstantiated information. You don't know me don't act like you do. If this is how you treat someone who makes an inquiry about one of your products.....
Well good luck to you.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I know better but let me ask this. Why do you feel the need to go through all of this when the original question asked to " WickedBruce" was if the flag touched the ground under certain conditions. You put yourself in this conversation and made implications that I was posting unsubstantiated information. You don't know me don't act like you do. If this is how you treat someone who makes an inquiry about one of your products.....
Well good luck to you.

Well since I made WickedBruce's flag mount, and ran it for a long time, I would know......

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I just make one of my servants run along behind holding my flag. It's good exercise for them. :mexsmoke:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It's really fun when it's the downstairs maids turn. That little gal can really pick 'em up and put 'em down. :mexsmoke:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An employee and I have been discussing a hitch mounted clay bird thrower.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An employee and I have been discussing a hitch mounted clay bird thrower.

Bob

Electrically powered thru the Jeeps power source (either the trailer hitch power or the 12v power socket in the cargo area) and operated with a wireless device such as an app developed for a phone or iPad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get with the Times, man!!!! It's 2015.....

People love electronics......love wireless electronics even more.

Think BIG!!!

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
... and operated with a wireless device such as an app developed for a phone or iPad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
Until you butt dial a clay pigeon through the windshield of the car behind you on the freeway. :happy175:

Seriously, though - it would be cool. :)

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy flag nonsense.. lol ... wy dont you build a hitch mount fora machine gun , smh. better yet a bazooka! or askud missle... lol im playing

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ Sorry, this guy wins in the mounted firepower contest.....

From the Bantam Heritage Jeep Festival 2015:

You must be registered for see images

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only concern with flying an American flag on these is that it touches the spare tire. My spare tire isn't clean and has seen some dirt. Plus you get quite a bit of dirt kickup from the rear tires.

Not saying the mounts SHOULDN'T be made or the American flag SHOULDN'T be flown from it...but that's just my two cents on doing it in general.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only concern with flying an American flag on these is that it touches the spare tire. My spare tire isn't clean and has seen some dirt. Plus you get quite a bit of dirt kickup from the rear tires.

Not saying the mounts SHOULDN'T be made or the American flag SHOULDN'T be flown from it...but that's just my two cents on doing it in general.
You can always wash a flag....ours on the firetruck gets washed once a month, atleast