Fitting spots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecivvie

Reaction score
I installed an A Bar to my KJ and it has room for 2 spot lights. Thinking of 2 smallish ones tied to the Hi beam. Cannot see anything in the Howto section. Anyone know the best way to wire this

juey

Reaction score
you need to run a relay under the hood. This will have an earth pickup (mount to body), a power feed (direct from battery, fused if the relay doesn't have a fuse), a power feed to switch the relay (from the high beam wire of the headlights, into cabin, through a switch and back out), and a power out to the driving lights. I find relays which have 2 power outs as the best option as it saves splicing the lights into one wire for connection. Connections are always numbered and usually have instructions

you need to use a voltmeter to find the wire which supplies power to the high beam headlight, often easiest done at the globe. I always use one of the clip type connectors to take the power off of this, you simply place it over the wire fit the take off wire into it and clip it shut with pliers.

This wire needs to be routed back into the cabin to a switch (to override the spottys on and off) and then back out to the relay to switch the relay on to draw power for spotties from the battery. Leave the switch on and the spotties will come on every time you hit high beam. Switch off and obviously they are off. This wire doesn't draw a lot as it is simply to supply current to operate the relay switch.

There is not much place to fit a switch in the KJ, I removed the Cigarette lighter and found a toggle switch to fit at Jay car.

I have heard people not runnning a relay, not the way to go, you never have full current to your lights and risk overloading the standard lighting system. A lot of amps are drawn when you kick the lights into life.

Hope this helps