FIrst Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckethead

Reaction score
I took my KK to the Stealership last week for it's first oil change. The light on the dash came on at around 2600 miles.

The owners manual says oil changes are scheduled every 6000.

Is this just a first time thing, or should I expect every 3000 miles for the oil change?

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
depending on how you drive your KK, the mileage interval will change. some have gone past the 6000 mark with out a message. Mine goes off every 2500 to 3500 miles. I drive mine hard and it also depends on how much I use 4x4

kensguns

Reaction score
Oil change frequency

My dealer asked me at what mileage I changed my oil and programed the oil change notice accordingly.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on how you drive your KK, the mileage interval will change. some have gone past the 6000 mark with out a message. Mine goes off every 2500 to 3500 miles. I drive mine hard and it also depends on how much I use 4x4

You are mistaken. The oil change light has nothing to do with how you drive it. You can change it from 100% ( which is 5,000 on MOSt vehilces, may be more or less on the kk) to 75% 50% ect. You determine when the light comes on by what you program it to not by how you drive.

It doesnt sense the oil breaking down or anything like that, it is triggered every so many miles depending on what you set it for. Its in the owners manual look it up.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ORO, the KK is not the same as the KJ. The KJ is like that...the KK is like an 04+ GM vehicle that monitors engine activity

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
You are mistaken. The oil change light has nothing to do with how you drive it. You can change it from 100% ( which is 5,000 on MOSt vehilces, may be more or less on the kk) to 75% 50% ect. You determine when the light comes on by what you program it to not by how you drive.

It doesnt sense the oil breaking down or anything like that, it is triggered every so many miles depending on what you set it for. Its in the owners manual look it up.

Sorry, but I'm not. The KK can not be programmed through the EVIC like a KJ can....

OPERATION
The change oil indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator when a duty-cycle algorithm contained within the software of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines that a recommended oil change interval has been attained. This indicator is controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit based upon cluster programming and electronic messages received over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus from the PCM.

The PCM continually monitors numerous sensor inputs to determine the duty-cycles to which the engine is being subjected. A pre-programmed algorithm within the PCM then determines when to send the proper lamp-ON or lamp-OFF message to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN).

Buckethead

Reaction score
Well, to revive an old thread, my oil change light came on again, @ 5500 miles. I talked to the service manager at a local dealership (not teh one I purchased from) and he basically said that all cars need a change @ 3000 miles.

A. I know that that's BS, my last 2 cars were 5k
B. The KK owners manual says every 6,000 miles

Should I just take it to another dealership, call Jeep or what?

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then go by your mileage.If you want to change your oil @ 3000,4000 or 6000. Just keep track off mileage and reset the light when it goes on.Then change when you reach the mileage of your choosing. But stay with in the maintenance schedules.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Well, to revive an old thread, my oil change light came on again, @ 5500 miles. I talked to the service manager at a local dealership (not teh one I purchased from) and he basically said that all cars need a change @ 3000 miles.

A. I know that that's BS, my last 2 cars were 5k
B. The KK owners manual says every 6,000 miles

Should I just take it to another dealership, call Jeep or what?

6,000 miles is best case scenario.

If the ONLY way you drive is long distances on the highway at 65 mph with the cruise on and NOTHING BUT YOU occupying the Jeep, then YES, you *can* do 6,000 mile oil change intervals.

If you are harder on the Jeep than described above, then 3,000 NO MATTER WHAT.

Anyway, ain't ThunderbirdJunkie's ride home, so do what you want. 6,000? Enjoy your sludge and premature ring and cam bearing wear.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with TBJ on this, every 3-4k Its a simple process that costs about $20 :)
If I could afford a new KK i would baby it and be changing it at 3k religiously :D

Buckethead

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not too concerned with premature wear on the motor. One of the reasons I got the Jeep was the Lifetime Powertrain warranty. Doing the math, at my local dealers service rate, I will pay almost 1700 dollars more over the first 100k with a 3000 mile service interval. That's pretty much the price of a new engine anyway.

If Jeep says every 6k for an oil change, I believe them. I know that the change oil sensor will go on at various intervals, and I don't expect it to hit at the same milage every time--but half the stated oil life to me is unacceptable.

I was more just wondering if any other KK owners experience the same thing.