Fire Extinguisher ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a result of the recent thread, what kind of extinguishers do you all carry? Ive been thinking about seriously getting one lately and that thread confirmed that feeling.

Where did you get yours, where did you mount it, and how much was it? I was thinking about mounting mine on the under side of my shelf that I made. On top may be better since you could grab it from the front seat if it was really needed. If it was under it then you would have to get out and open the hatch.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people tend to carry a 2kg ABC dry powder in their vehicle 1kg ones dont give much fire fighting capability. A=woods papers textiles B=flammable liquids C=gaseous fires,also safe on high voltages up to 15000v otherwise known as multi purpose.(note they cut visibilty in confined spaces down and are very messy. Other one to consider is AFFF aqueous film forming foam fantastic on spill fires (seals the fire preventing re-ignitinion) willput out woods paper and textiles considered safe on low voltages up to 240v but its water based 95% and 5% additive so i wouldnt recommend it personally.Either will be ok in a road vehicle,and i wouldn't buy one less than 2litres as the discharge time would be pitiful.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in the fire brigade but i used to survey buildings for risk assesments and teach people how to use fire extinguishers correctly.

ed.

Reaction score
I have a 1kg on the side of the drivers seat.
Will probably mount another one on the passenger's seat as well.
Realistically if you have a fire going, you'd want a 4kg version IMO.
I guess it depends how late/early you notice the smoke is not from the diesel engine LOL.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a place that refills them, tell them it's for a Jeep. They'll make sure you get the right kind. Mine's under the passenger seat. I can easily pull it out from the drivers seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how about a halon despensor built into under the hood and in the cabin, complete w o2 masks?
:D
seriously tho, ive been thinking the same thing, ill keep watching for one, would hate to lose mu crd in a flaming blaze of glory....

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Halon is a fantastic medium for extinguishing fires it'll put out almost any type of fire,but dont breathe the fumes in it can be deadly in confined spaces + it's illegal to have halon in UK since it was outlawed in 2000 as it damages the ozone layer but probably not as much as a burning kj lol.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if I would have had one that night it would not have helped me out, in seconds it was complety on fire, a fire protection guy stopped and was going to try and put it out but he said it was not worth the risk of getting hurt, just wanted to add my imput on this one

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your probably right libertyman it depends on the location ,accessability of the fire and also how quickly you can start to tackle it.But if you ever doubt your personal safety whilst tackling a fire better to leave it alone than risk injury or worse. Cars and buildings can be replaced lives cannot.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one because I live and wheel in places that are notorious for wildfires so mine is there more for in case a catalytic converter catches some grass on fire or something like that. I know how quickly vehicle fires go up and I doubt I'd even try to fight it... just let the insurance buy me another one.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those cheapy's at WalMart are useless. I've seen them not do anything when they were needed. Gauge said it was full but, it was just stuck, apparently.

I paid $50 for mine at a shop that refills and inspects them for other businesses. They also had that pull-out mounting bracket and they threw in the 'Fire Ext. Inside' sticker for free. Just look under Fire in the phone book or call the local fire station, they can tell you where to get one.

ed.

Reaction score
Those cheapy's at WalMart are useless. I've seen them not do anything when they were needed. Gauge said it was full but, it was just stuck, apparently.

I paid $50 for mine at a shop that refills and inspects them for other businesses. They also had that pull-out mounting bracket and they threw in the 'Fire Ext. Inside' sticker for free. Just look under Fire in the phone book or call the local fire station, they can tell you where to get one.
The powder probably settled and compacted. Apparently you're meant to shake them once in awhile. So if you go do some trails once in awhile it should be alright, otherwise you can tap them with a rubber mallet once in awhile.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ed is right about the powder compacting ,and every couple of months you should tip the extinguisher from end to end if you cant feel the powder moving about then use a rubber mallet and gently tap the base of the extinguisher until you feel the powder moving.And i would recommend that you take it to a fire extinguisher service company and have them check it over anually to check for faults .And every 5 years they need a discharge test ,this involves setting them off ,checking the body of extinguisher for damage internally and externally fitting new o rings ,ect, and then refilling and weighing .If you havent got access to a local company to carry out this service i would recommend replacing it for a new one every 5 yrs.Remember they are a pressurised container and can be very dangerous if abused or allowed to corrode ect.I remember reading an article from the health and safety executive about an incident were an incorrectly maintained extinguisher exploded in the users face and the valve and handle parted company with the body of the extinguisher and hit him with "The force of a house brick travelling at 185mph".He suffered extensive facial injuries and was lucky it was a glancing blow.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The powder probably settled and compacted. Apparently you're meant to shake them once in awhile. So if you go do some trails once in awhile it should be alright, otherwise you can tap them with a rubber mallet once in awhile.

no, it had leaked out all the propellant but the gauge stayed in place. We (Co. I used to work at) had a few others just like it that were bought at the same time. Took them to a refill/inspection place. They weren't a serviceable type but, the shop checked them out anyway. You could hear and feel the powder moving around in them, they just didn't have any pressure left in them.

I'm just saying, "Be wary of the cheap stuff."

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k dje ryu your'e correct steer clear of the cheap extinguishers ,and your correct that with dry powder the nitrogen propellant can leak past the seals very easily because the powder is a solid and bits left on the seal during filling can cause a leak. And sometimes the gauges can stick so it reads full pressure when in fact there is none.When having your extinguishers serviced the engineer will carry out a gauge test to see if the gauge is functioning correctly.