finally, tires arrived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good!!! The tread looks pretty aggressive and trail ready. Keep us posted with an on/off road review after you get a few miles on them....

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, please keep us updated. So, $145 a tire? That's not too bad.

I'd be interested in the longevity and performance.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin' good! See what a difference white letters make? just kidding.....it does look better though.:D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin good Huseyin! Its about time you got rid of those HP's!

And the sidewalls looking like that if normal. I probably wouldnt keep 38psi in them though. 33-36 is about right for the liberty. That will make it ride better and take bumps better also. (he PM'ed me about that if anyone is wondering)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Blake,
Like I said, these spin a bit easier than my goodyears. I have no idea why.. if these spin this easy on dry surface, how could they be better in wet conditions!? I don't get it.

With the crappy goodyear HPs, no matter how fast I floored at green light they would never, ever spin, unless it was gravel or loose surface. Today, at the same exact spot I always stop for red light, I did the same thing, These moved about a foot then let go started spinning, then kept me moving after spinning out and turning heads. Although I always wanted to be able to spin my tires from take-off, I don't really need this.

Otherwise, what is good about these tires: They are quiet and they feel like they are stable on the straight road. Also they take bumps and potholes better than goodyears. It could be the softer sidewalls, I don't know..

Another thing I noticed with these tires, it feels like I am riding on a cushion of clouds, as if I take a sharp turn, they won't hold well.. Not sure if this is a result of deeper tread pattern with less contact with the road.

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/warranty.aspx

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh wow, Ive also never been able to break the tires loose unless the road is wet or something.

although if the road is wet I still cannot spin my yoko's.. They just go.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really? i had my yokos in the rain today, not even full gas, just tried to get ahead to get to the next lane at a light. Span for a good 15 feet before they hooked up lol. But it was pretty heavy rain today. Maybe because your got heavier rims and a bit more weight in your jeep? Because let me tell yea, mine span pretty damn good, and i got the exact same tire as you, just wider

Im curious as to why you didnt go wider or taller? if your going 65 height, you can fit in 255's. If you got 70 for height, you can go 245. This is with a stock lift

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyedipin.......those look good. Good price too. Looks like you kept your stock wheels. I like those also.

After you get those "broke in" let us know how you like them.

Dave

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the tires?

Hi-- Where did you get those from? That seems like a great price.

Jeff

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

Blake and _UnLiMiTeD_,
Today I took the same road, with turn that I take daily at 45-50mph, and it felt like it was sliding sideways more than GYs, it kinda makes me nauseous...

Hi-- Where did you get those from? That seems like a great price.

Jeff

You can order them direct from tire warehouse, which I will need to look up the number for, OR this place LINK, OR find a local STS Tire Center and have them order it for you. I did the latter. Tire warehouse quoted $165 per tire, shipped. STS gave me better price, I went with them.

Last edited:

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should have ordered bigger tires. Bet that would have helped, even with the exact same tire, just bigger. Puts more rubber and weight down to the road, the smaller the tire, the harder it will be to keep all 4 wheels firmly planted on the ground. Remember its a 4200+ lb vehicle, the bigger the tire, the better it will be.

i have never sliden sideways in my jeep around any corners, even in heavy rain.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should have ordered bigger tires. Bet that would have helped, even with the exact same tire, just bigger. Puts more rubber and weight down to the road, the smaller the tire, the harder it will be to keep all 4 wheels firmly planted on the ground. Remember its a 4200+ lb vehicle, the bigger the tire, the better it will be.

i have never sliden sideways in my jeep around any corners, even in heavy rain.

Erroneous on both counts! (Wedding Crashers quote, not trying to be a jerk ;) ).

but really, that's not true most of the time. On dry pavement, the more surface contact, the better. So, yes, you'd be correct. On water, there's a point of diminishing return as a wider tire has a better tendancy of hydroplaning. So, a super wide tire is going to hydroplane easier than a 235 or 245. Additionally, a 245 is going to stop better than say, a road bicycle width ;) That's what I mean by a point of diminishing return. Start very thin, wet stopping power will get better and better the wider you go... you'll hit a nice optimum point, and then it'll drop off - like a bell curve.

Additionally, it doesn't "put more weight down to the road". Weight is constant. A 215 and a 285 will hold the same weight as the vehicle's a constant. The difference is pressure - weight per unit of area. A 215 will actually have more weight per square inch than a 285.

Mud, snow, water - a thinner tire is a little better. Sand, dry pavement, hard packed dry surfaces - wider is better.

My $.02 deposited.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know man.. Never had this kinda feeling with my goodyears. They were dancing in the rain, but on dry they were great.

Atrus, thanks for the insight. If there is one thing I know, it is the thinner the tire, better it will be on ice/snow. Not necessarily will get you out of a ditch unless it has enough meat to grab with, but will be easier to handle. I am waiting for an answer from Nokian about my issue above, I just don't see how people kept saying these tires were great, and they slip like this in dry conditions. I also have extra weight in my cargo area like crap in the bag, booster, a few boxes of stuff, etc..

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't get a response from Nokian Tyre Company regarding my email to them.. [-(

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your average truck, like an f150, silverado etc.. Usually dont have a tire any thinner 245. And with my 255 tires, i have never had a problem stopping or turning in HEAVY rain. Just cant press on the gass to hard or i have problems lol

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point is though, I highly doubt that your wet weather traction has much, if anything, to do with your tire width. It's probably got more to do with your tread pattern/depth.

Sure, your average truck doesn't have a tire thinner than 245...I fully agree. Doesn't mean wider is better in the rain, it means they (the OEM) picked the best tire for all around performance (and, price ;) ) - be it wet/dry/snow/etc.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blake, thanks for your help and bringing up the "break-in" with new tires. I found the article you mentioned where it states:

Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a "break-in" period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a "release lubricant" is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you "low tread depth tires respond quicker." Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down.

NOTE: Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that every tire requires a break-in period for optimum performance.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd give it a little time, I've noticed that with a lot of tires I've bought that they feel a bit squirrely for a little while. I think a lot of it has to do with the chemicals used during the manufacturing process. There are lubricants used to help prevent sticking to the molds. I've noticed an oily feel on almost every brand new tire I've ever bought, on the tread. Give that some time to wear off.

Latest posts

Members online