Faulty 42rle Trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for Troy to come in here and say, "Aren't all 42RLE's faulty?"

This is also what I have read and what my Jeep does.

I have the 42RLE.

If I start backing up on a flat surface and then proceed up a hill, it is fine. However, if I start backing up while on a hill, I get shutter. It is even worse when you are trying to back a trailer up while starting on a hill. The steeper the hill, the more shutter. I hate to say it, but it is a characteristic of this vehicle with this transmission.

You just have to find ways to work around it or put the trans in 4-lo. Now that I know what the problem is what causes it to start happening, I find myself rarely getting the shutter because I don't allow myself to get in that situation.

I'd have to pretty much agree with this. I've noticed the exact same thing. I get a little shudder every morning because I have a steep, sunken driveway. So everymorning I'm backing out of my driveway, uphill, while the ****** is cold.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... a little over a year ago. (banghead) The 45RFE is certainly not indestructible.

Looked like this:

You must be registered for see images

New vs. old accumulator plate...

Ouch... Yep that's what i have seen in person... Had a Durango come in with that. I was in the shop when they dropped the pan on it, as soon as i saw the bolts in the pan i said "order a new accumulator plate" and the owner of the Durango looks back at me like "how the heck do you know thats the problem" and i told him about the cases i have seen online. Sure enough the plate looked a lot like yours, his dipstick tube had a small dent in it as well from the plate smacking it. Not bad enough to repair or replace just noticed it while replacing.

His got that new stronger plate, i can't remember the website but someone on a dodge forum had the link up and thats where they got it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know when the accumulator plate is gone?
You loose some or all gears.Chrysler knows about the issue and has a HD plate for like $20-$30 ,not a real common issue but does happen.

42RLE..........

1st gear--2.84:1
2nd gear--1.57:1
3rd gear--1:1
4th gear--0.69:1
Reverse--2.21:1

45RFE.......

1st gear--3:1
2nd gear up--1.67:1
2nd gear down--1.50:1
3rd gear--1:1
4th gear--0.75:1
Reverse--3:1

4---4 forward speeds
2---Torque capacity(1-10 scale)
R---Rear Drive
L & E---Limited electronic

4---4 forward speeds
5---Torque Capacity(1-10 scale)
R---Rear Drive
F & E---Full electronic

barryh

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies on the characteristics of the trans. I see the indications that there are problems with reverse, but I think mine is worse than some of the symptoms described.
I am going today to have a Repair shop have a look at it, so i will know a lot more about what is going on. I will post the details of any repair just for some idea of what they find. Thanks barryh

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies on the characteristics of the trans. I see the indications that there are problems with reverse, but I think mine is worse than some of the symptoms described.
I am going today to have a Repair shop have a look at it, so i will know a lot more about what is going on. I will post the details of any repair just for some idea of what they find. Thanks barryh
Yeah that's what I said. Until my sister's KJ behaved (and does behave) exactly the same as mine did.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys just some food for thought
when you have a "shutter" in reverse and it "will not go"
but then it goes in 4wd low then the problem can not be the pick up
or some thing like that if it were then putting it in 4wd would give the same
shutter or no go but that is not the case
every time when you put it in low range it goes?
you changed NOTHING in the trans
all you did was lower the gear ratio by 2.73 or what ever low range is
thus it give the impression of having 2.73 X the torque

in short the Reverse gears in the trans is to tall
see above post

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must be normal. First time I felt it was on the road test when mine was brand new with 6 miles on it. I was backing it uphill in to a parking spot at the dealer's lot. It seemed more like a u-joint windup/angle thing to me but I guess I was wrong. My instinct told me it wasn't a problem and it isn't. I have about 73K miles now. It's rarely happened since. Seems like more throttle smooths it out.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
How do you know when the accumulator plate is gone?

When it happened to mine, I lost everything above 2nd gear. :( That, and the broken bolts were an indicator. Ended up buy the aftermarket TransGo shift kit. Much beefier design. No problems since. *knocks on wood*