Fastener Types

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I must confess that I haven't done very much wrenching under my KJ but I expect to be when the drivetrain warranty expires.

Can anybody tell me what I can expect to find for fasteners on a KJ? Are they all SAE sizes or will I also find a few metric sized bolts? I sure hope there aren't any of those damn Torx screws. I hate them with a passion.

hmmm...I wonder if I'll need to get one of these left handed metric screwdrivers :D
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=21

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only torx I can remember is the drain plug on the front diff, and the drain/fill plug on the t-case.

Most, if not all, of the fasteners are metric. Biggest you'll probably need is 18mm. There are bigger like axle hub, pinion nut, etc...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd that the fasteners are metric, aren't Liberty's manufactured in USA? the last holdout against the metric system?
Your not going to find a vehicle made today that isn't mostly metric bolts/nuts.Soon SAE will be gone,though mechanics will still need SAE tools for the older US vehicles.

I have only encountered 4 bolts/nuts on the entire KJ(mine at least) that are SAE,the t-case drain plug,t-case fill plug,the lugnuts,and the front diff fill plug(takes a 3/8" ratchet).There are many more bolts/nuts on the KJ that a SAE socket/wrench will work on since many metric sizes have a very close SAE size(7/16=11mm,1/2=13mm,9/16=14mm,and so on for certian sizes).

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work in a cold-heading facility (makes automotive fasteners) - tier 1 supplier.

I would bet that 95% of our business was metric fasteners. Really, the only SAE that we'd do were for service parts.

Members online

No members online now.